Join for free
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 06:52 PM

Re: Is Glamour Only For The Young?

I wear eyeliner daily, I don't like myself without it, I look right tired when I haven't got it on. Sometimes I wear mascara and a bit of lipstick. When I was younger i used to use foundation and powder and eyeshadow but I don't much anymore because it seems to accentuate my laughter lines, note I don't say wrinkles haha.

I agree with Carol about low cut tops and miniskirts not suiting old ladies, there was a woman in the front of me at a checkout in Home Bargains last wednesday and she had a miniskirt, ankle boots and thick tights and a bomber jacket, she looked really nice from the back but when she turned around I was shocked to see how old she was, it truly was a case of mutton dressed as lamb and it just didn't look right, I know I shouldn't judge but............I think you should dress your age, make up fair enough but mini skirts and low cut boobs popping out tops are a no no I reckon.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 07:04 PM

Joan Collins is one of the most glamorous women in the world IMO must be in her late 70s by now. So no it's for any glamour puss wants to be glamorous.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 07:15 PM

I agree on clothes.
Ripped jeans look awful on older women, same with peircings.
Low tops - yuk all wrinkles.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 07:24 PM

I don't think glamour is only for the young, but I don't like to spend too much time on it. Fortunately for me my skin is very good for my age and I don't wear a foundation, just moisturiser. I do my eyes with a khol pencil and have stopped using mascara - just smudge the khol top and a bit on the bottom. I don't like to go out without my eyes done and a bit of lippy on, plus my earrings in. A good, easy care, hair cut is essential for me but it is not coloured It's gone grey all around my face, but not at the back which gives me "wings" and a bit of contrast. There are some lovely clothes around these days - easy care, affordable and suitable for all ages. I don't really think if they are for the young or older person - if I like it I buy it. I am not really tall enough to look elegant, but I try for a classic look with good quality accessories and generally wear expensive perfume. Long gone are the days when I spent time in front of the mirror worrying if I looked good. I know what I like and what suits me. I think I have learnt to be discerning. When I experiment it is not with anything major - just bits and bobs to ring the changes. Sounds boring I suppose.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Joan Collins is one of the most glamorous women in the world IMO must be in her late 70s by now. So no it's for any glamour puss wants to be glamorous.

Julie, Joan Collins is 85 now, would you believe!

I do agree with Carol and Queenie about not over-doing make-up and clothing style as we age.

I always think it's a bit sad when an ageing person - male or female - tries to look 21 again. I have never seen one yet who can pull it off.

I also agree about Helen Mirren and Joanna Lumley still looking good in a 'sophisticated' sort of way, which is nice.

Part of me can't help but wonder if it is fair to judge someone purely by their make up skills, though?
Wouldn't it be more accurate to appraise on their 'natural 'beauty perhaps?

After all, most older men (celebs excluded) go out in public, and on dates etc 'au natural' and are therefore looked at and probably judged just as they truly are, without artificial enhancements.

Just musing . . .
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 09:28 PM

This thread is not about women being mutton dressed like lamb’. It is about women enhancing what they’ve got and feeling good and confident about themselves.

I read somewhere, if an older woman wears a low cut top, she must wear her skirt longer and not wear a mini skirt!
If she wears a short skirt, she mustn’t wear a low cut top as well.
I usually wear trousers all the time and sensible tops, so l needn’t worry about that!
Rhian
Chatterbox
North Wales
Rhian is female  Rhian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
This thread is not about women being mutton dressed like lamb’. It is about women enhancing what they’ve got and feeling good and confident about themselves.

I read somewhere, if an older woman wears a low cut top, she must wear her skirt longer and not wear a mini skirt!
If she wears a short skirt, she mustn’t wear a low cut top as well.
I usually wear trousers all the time and sensible tops, so l needn’t worry about that!
Yes!
The term around here is...
Boobs or legs...
Bratti
Chatterbox
Canada
Bratti is female  Bratti has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 09:35 PM

Now that I’m older I don’t wear my make up the same. Less is best for me now. Black I could never wear but even more so now so I choose brown or blue mascara. I’ve never worn foundation, just a hint of blush.

I’ve got a question about appropriate clothing.
The mini skirts and low cleavage thing I get. That’s never been my style anyway BUT I am very much into sports so I wear skorts. They aren’t mini skirt short but are a few inches above knee. My girlfriend who is a few years younger than me got the same ones from Costco and I think they look great on her. What’s the consensus on Skorts? I mean my legs aren’t all fat or wrinkly. They are in good shape. Maybe?
I’m worried I’m looking like a mutton dressing like a lamb .lol
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
I agree on clothes.
Ripped jeans look awful on older women, same with peircings.
Low tops - yuk all wrinkles.
Years ago, when an older woman in the office wore a really low cut top with her cleavage showing. We used to say, ‘Ooh, Look she’s wearing her tea money dress’.

The joke was, that’s where she popped the tea money she collected, down the front!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-11-2018, 09:43 PM

I think one of the most important things is hair. If you have nice hair, you are over half way to looking glamorous.

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top