Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 10:18 AM

Energy Switching

It's time to find a new supplier as my current contract ends on 30th June.
I'm on the lowest tariff possible at the moment (GB Energy) so everything is more expensive but due to the economic climate, I'm tempted to switch to a 2 or 3 year contract.

First Utility is fixed for three years but £10 pa cheaper is OVO Energy who give 3% interest on credit balances!! I've used OVO before and their customer service is fantastic!!

Any views on fixing for a maximum term?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 10:26 AM

Re: Energy Switching

We've just resigned to fix our British Gas duel fuel tariff. I can't say how that stands up to others as we've been with British Gas since 1984 when we married.

As you can see we aren't great at shopping around for these things but they do a good job and we have our boiler contract with them so are happy to stay put.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
We've just resigned to fix our British Gas duel fuel tariff. I can't say how that stands up to others as we've been with British Gas since 1984 when we married.

As you can see we aren't great at shopping around for these things but they do a good job and we have our boiler contract with them so are happy to stay put.
Nothing wrong with that in my opinion Julie, life's too short....
I've put all my energy needs in the hands of British Gas who have frozen the prices until next year. I reckon all this changing of suppliers is a con anyway, it's just there to make you feel better about yourself, but at the end of the day, there's no such thing as a free lunch! Unless you've got solar panels on your roof and a wind turbine in your garden.

PS:- The government love it because just think how many more people all these companies employ just to bring the same gas and lecky to your house. All that lovely tax and business rates to fill their coffers.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 11:04 AM

I have switched just two weeks ago from EON to Sainsbury's which is cheaper.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 11:47 AM

Hi Lindy I am fixed term with OVO and have been with them for some years . I review my position every year before renewing though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 12:43 PM

Hi

I find the entire thing something of a Con.

Much of our supply is in the hands of foreign suppliers and distributors.

EDF kicked this thing off with two substantial rises this year.

EDF is Electricite de France, EDF UK raised the prices because they said their supplier had raised the prices, hilarious, because their supplier is themselves, EDF.

Who owns EDF?

The French Government.

Electricity prices in France are somewhat lower than they are here in the UK.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I find the entire thing something of a Con.

Much of our supply is in the hands of foreign suppliers and distributors.

EDF kicked this thing off with two substantial rises this year.

EDF is Electricite de France, EDF UK raised the prices because they said their supplier had raised the prices, hilarious, because their supplier is themselves, EDF.

Who owns EDF?

The French Government.

Electricity prices in France are somewhat lower than they are here in the UK.
Which is exactly why it could be wise to take a longer term fixed contract - I can't see prices in the UK going down after our divorce!!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 01:30 PM

Just heard that if you have a smart meter and change your supplier, the meter will need to be changed too ... not compatible
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-05-2017, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Just heard that if you have a smart meter and change your supplier, the meter will need to be changed too ... not compatible
We're in the process of moving from Ovo to E-on and will have to go back to sending regular meter readings!
Lindyloo
isle of wight

09-05-2017, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Thanks for that - good advice.

I don't know how to do double quotes, but I didn't need a new meter when I was with OVO.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top