Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2019, 08:41 AM

Re: Olive oil

It's fine to use olive oil for cooking or frying up to a certain temperature. After that it ruins the flavour and it's not much use for deep fat frying. It also depends on how much oil you use. IMO if something tastes bad then it's not good for you.

There's so much conflicting information about different oils but all frying is bad for you if that's all you eat. Baking is bad too for different reasons. Grilling meat can cause cancer chemicals even if you don't use oil. Burnt toast is cancer chemical ridden. Nothing that is nice and interesting to eat is really 100% safe.

I like to cook at a lower temperature not because I am worried about cancer but because food comes out tasting better. I'd say butter is the worst for frying, but it tastes pretty good for an occasional treat.

It is really down to how much and how often you eat the things that are not good for you rather than them being bad for you. For example they say you shouldn't eat smoked meat because of the nitrates content but there are people who live to 100 having eaten it regularly. It's more to do with the type of body you have (genes) and the rest of your diet/lifestyle.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
For example they say you shouldn't eat smoked meat because of the nitrates content but there are people who live to 100 having eaten it regularly.
"They" will say anything and everything to push their wicked agendas which are driven by profit and more nefarious desires.

Oily fish is extremely good for us.

You will find that for a great many very healthy things "They" are now trying to steer us away. In other words they do not want us to be healthy. Healthy people do not generate profits.

The key is to ignore all the "they say" Billy BS and do copious amounts of research to identify what actually IS a
good food and whta is not. That research has to be donw with a wily, and healthily sceptical head, knowing that at every turn the unscrupulous people will be trying to steer you astray. It's a pain for sure, but it has to be done.

Oils, no matter what they are, should never be heated to the point that they smoke. For many oils that "smoke point" comes at relatively low temperatures which makes them unsuitable for cooking purposes. Olive oil is one of those oils. It is best used in its very extra virgin cold pressed form to be used raw on salads and as dips. Not for cooking.

Most foods will have more nutritional value if not cooked at all or cooked at very low temperatures and for longer periods.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 03:50 PM

I would also say that on a general basis, the things our forebears did with food, maybe for 100s if not 1000s of years, are the things we should be looking for. Sourdough bread goes back a long way, fermenting vegetables goes back a long way, smoking and curing meats goes back a long way, salting fish and so on.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
"They" will say anything and everything to push their wicked agendas which are driven by profit and more nefarious desires.

Oily fish is extremely good for us.

You will find that for a great many very healthy things "They" are now trying to steer us away. In other words they do not want us to be healthy. Healthy people do not generate profits.

The key is to ignore all the "they say" Billy BS and do copious amounts of research to identify what actually IS a
good food and whta is not. That research has to be donw with a wily, and healthily sceptical head, knowing that at every turn the unscrupulous people will be trying to steer you astray. It's a pain for sure, but it has to be done.

Oils, no matter what they are, should never be heated to the point that they smoke. For many oils that "smoke point" comes at relatively low temperatures which makes them unsuitable for cooking purposes. Olive oil is one of those oils. It is best used in its very extra virgin cold pressed form to be used raw on salads and as dips. Not for cooking.

Most foods will have more nutritional value if not cooked at all or cooked at very low temperatures and for longer periods.
In Portugal, my wife's homeland, they pour olive oil straight from the bottle over their food like we'd pour gravy.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-05-2019, 04:10 PM

I would also say that on a general basis, the things our forebears did with food, maybe for 100s if not 1000s of years, are the things we should be looking for. Sourdough bread goes back a long way, fermenting vegetables goes back a long way, smoking and curing meats goes back a long way, salting fish and so on.
The only reason they did this is because they did not have refrigerators or supermarkets with veg all year round. It was very resourceful, but they did have a very salty diet because of it. Didn't live as long as we do. It's nice to have things like that occasionally but it's an old form of processing food which isn't too healthy if you have it on a daily basis.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 03:38 AM

I don't know why you listen to Realist's scary nonsense - Olive Oil is perfectly safe to cook with. The low smoke point is a nonsense (though you wouldn't deep fry with olive oil)

Extra virgin: 375 to 405°F
Virgin: 390°F
Pure: 410°F
Light: 470°F

Well, guess what: Olive oil is perfectly safe to cook with. "I have found no evidence that high-heat cooking with olive oil is unhealthy," says Rebecca Blake, RD, director of clinical nutrition at Mount Sinai Beth Israel in New York City. "There's no proof."

Do your best to avoid the smoke point. While it's not harmful to your health, Blake explains, cooking oil past its smoke point can cause nutrient loss and create unpleasant off-flavors that'll affect the taste of the finished dish.

However, olive oil is quite resistant to heat and doesn’t oxidize or go rancid during cooking.

Not only is it an excellent cooking oil, but it is also one of the healthiest.

The Greeks have been using it for years Greek life expectancy 81.04 years, UK 80.96 years

Just Google it yourself (that's all Realist's so-called "research" is)
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 07:05 AM

I've got lemon, basil, garlic and chilli flavoured oils in my cupboard. I love it on crusty bread for a snack.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-05-2019, 07:13 AM

I am grateful that you introduced me to these, Realist, have made several batches now and find them delicious.
Thank you.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 08:27 AM

Not sure if I've already posted this on this thread; it might have been on another thread.

Anyway...

Some types of olive oil can be used for cooking.

Extra virgin oil shouldn't really be used for cooking. However, there are some types of lower-grade olive oil that are great for cooking, as they have a higher smoke point, and as long as you don't reach the smoke point, you still get the nutritional value.

I use Berio Classico olive oil... the yellow label. It isn't extra virgin or virgin, as it comes from one of the later pressings, but it does specifically say that you can use it for frying, sautéeing and roasting.

For my purposes...stir-fries and roasting veg in the oven, it is ideal.

I did try going back to rapeseed oil a few months ago, but found I didn't like the flavour, and then I found the Berio Classico oil.

For drizzling over salads and vegetables on the plate, though, I use a good quality Sicilian extra-virgin olive oil, which I consider is the best type of olive oil.
CoffeeCake
Northamptonshire
CoffeeCake is female  CoffeeCake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-06-2019, 08:11 PM

There really are some crazy comments regarding olive oil on this thread. Of course you can cook with Extra Virgin Olive Oil!
My mother, who is from Italy uses Extra Virgin Olive Oil for all cooking apart from deep-frying as did her mother before her. I too use Ev Olive Oil more than any other oil.

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top