Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 04:03 PM

Things To Do

OK, first off, I'm not a gardener and have no interest in gardens BUT I have a friend who you might be able to help - here goes

She runs a gardening group that now has about 70 members, and every so often she tries to introduce something fun or interesting to keep them interested. She's done plant and veg sales, quizzes (which apparently not everyone is keen on). They have speakers about three times a year who cost a fortune for half hour plus travel expenses and now she's running out of ideas. Can anyone suggest what she could introduce for a change? I'll pass on any ideas to her. They have occasional coach trips to gardens and so on, and naturally most people just want to sit back and be entertained so that's very popular, but money is limited. She's very enthused and a great group leader but even she's stumped now. Thanks for anything useful.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 04:51 PM

Re: Things To Do

Originally Posted by eccles ->
OK, first off, I'm not a gardener and have no interest in gardens BUT I have a friend who you might be able to help - here goes

She runs a gardening group that now has about 70 members, and every so often she tries to introduce something fun or interesting to keep them interested. She's done plant and veg sales, quizzes (which apparently not everyone is keen on). They have speakers about three times a year who cost a fortune for half hour plus travel expenses and now she's running out of ideas. Can anyone suggest what she could introduce for a change? I'll pass on any ideas to her. They have occasional coach trips to gardens and so on, and naturally most people just want to sit back and be entertained so that's very popular, but money is limited. She's very enthused and a great group leader but even she's stumped now. Thanks for anything useful.
How about asking members to bring in plants (or photos of plants) that they have successfully grown, and have a discussion about what made growing them a success?

You could have themes....... vegetables one time, fruit another, plants for cut flowers, shrubs, annuals, bees and butterflies, etc, etc.

Anyone got a wildlife garden? They could show photos and discuss what they'd done.

Or ponds.

Or growing trees.

Or lawns.

Or house plants.

Make the members do some of the work but in a way that gives them a pat on the back for successful growing and sharing the info! .
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 04:56 PM

The National Garden Scheme........

Open gardens for visitors. Gardens that are usually private but open for a few days a year to visitors, usually just for a donation to charity.

She could arrange a 'garden crawl' of open gardens in the immediate area. Just needs a bit of planning re. the route and giving people the details, perhaps with a lunch stop halfway through.

Have a look here for locations and ideas....
https://www.ngs.org.uk
Pyxell
South of England

05-05-2019, 04:59 PM

A cheeky plant competition.

Ask members to bring in specimens of:

The saddest plant.

The rudest plant.

The funniest plant.

Etc, etc.
It wouldn't matter if the plants were 'doctored'!

And then people could gives marks out of 3 for the superlative in each category. The winners could have a jokey prize!

Just a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously! People like a laugh!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 05:55 PM

can recommend a trip to Batsford arboretum Gloucestershire and the Lost gardens of Heligan, Cornwall, although perhaps they have already done that.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 09:43 PM

How about a plant swap meeting?

Many keep gardeners have set seeds and end up with surplus young plants, so bring them along and swap for something else 'surplus' from another gardener.

Perhaps some have surplus cuttings too, so could bring them along to swap too?

How about a talk on houseplants for a change from garden plants too? And what about helping garden wildlife?

Seasonal themes would be interesting, and also very helpful.
Things like growing from seed and propogation at the spring meetings.

Followed in the summer by flowers for cutting, diseases and insects.

Then in autumn, talks on how to over-winter plants, using fleece, bubble wrap, etc
You could include autumn bulb planting too.

Last but not least Eccles, your friend could also ask the members themselves for suggestions for what they would like at meetings.

Hope these ideas are of some help.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2019, 10:33 PM

I found this site which may be helpful to your friend, Eccles ...

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/suewiggi...en-club-ideas/
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 06:12 AM

Some good ideas here, many thanks. I've passed them onto my pal. She's already done some of them but please keep any ideas rolling in. The website looks interesting Mags, I'm sure she'll find something there.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2019, 07:41 AM

What about having a floral display competition, made with flowers you have grown yourself?

Maybe the members could create a harvest festival hamper, by using their own produce. I am sure they could produce enough, from those who grow veg & present it to some worthy cause. If local press heard the story, it may bring even more members!
eccles
South West

06-05-2019, 10:14 AM

Bit early for Harvest Festival Twink! Still, she could keep it for nearer the time, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top