Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 08:13 AM

Re: 2001 A Space Odyessy

I saw this when it was first released, and I've seen bits of it since then
My opinion is unchanged -
Overrated, tedious, and a fine example of The Emperor's New Clothes
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 11:05 AM

Catch up on BBC iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-space-odyssey

Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2019, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Catch up on BBC iPlayer:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...-space-odyssey

Perfect, and thank you!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:16 PM

I have seen the film a couple of times and I am still undecided as to whether I like it or not. I can appreciate the futuristic ideas but still think it is confusing.... not as confusing as 'Dune' though.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2019, 05:46 PM

If you want to see another Sc-Fi classic in a similar vein, I recommend that you watch Interstellar, a film about Mankind's search for another home after all of Earth's resources have been depleted and every living thing is doomed to die as all plant life becomes extinct through lack of water and nutrients in the soil.

A crew sets out to a choice of three viable planets that were previously visited by an earlier set of astronauts that they only managed to get to because of the excessive distances via a recently discovered `wormhole` in space. All communication with the previous astronauts was lost because of the great distance involved.

I'm really selling this aren't I?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
If you want to see another Sc-Fi classic in a similar vein, I recommend that you watch Interstellar
I bought the DVD for Interstellar based on all the acclaim it seemed to get but on watching it found myself very frustrated. It's one of those films where the directors just haven't bothered to "keep it real" so to speak and you have to constantly put aside rational logic and basic intelligence to get through it. The basic idea that a handful of people could put together a rocket and fuel it and get it into space as if it were just tinkering about in a garden shed was just awful and likely insulted the intelligence of most Sci-Fi fans.

In the end they just wanted to tell a story which just happened to be set in space and they just didn't bother with the realities involved. I don't think the film deserved half the acclaim it got TBH.

Good "spacey" Sci-Fi films to watch, apart from 2001 and its sequel 2010 are:

- Moon
- Mission To Mars
- Alien, Aliens
- Solaris (2002)
- Sunshine
- Silent Running
- Gravity

Good futuristic" Sci-Fi films imo are:

- Bladerunner
- The Matrix Trilogy
- Riddick Trilogy
- Logan's Run
- THX 1138
- Aeon Flux
- Westworld (original)
- The Abyss
- The War Of The Worlds
- Independence Day

Obviously all the Star Trek and Star Wars films need no mention.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 01:37 PM

To me, the best Space film ever is Apollo 13 but of course it's all true.
Cache
East Anglia
Cache is female  Cache has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I bought the DVD for Interstellar based on all the acclaim it seemed to get but on watching it found myself very frustrated. It's one of those films where the directors just haven't bothered to "keep it real" so to speak and you have to constantly put aside rational logic and basic intelligence to get through it. The basic idea that a handful of people could put together a rocket and fuel it and get it into space as if it were just tinkering about in a garden shed was just awful and likely insulted the intelligence of most Sci-Fi fans.

In the end they just wanted to tell a story which just happened to be set in space and they just didn't bother with the realities involved. I don't think the film deserved half the acclaim it got TBH.

- Moon
- Mission To Mars
- Alien, Aliens
- Solaris (2002)
- Sunshine
- Silent Running
- Gravity

- Bladerunner
- The Matrix Trilogy
- Riddick Trilogy
- Logan's Run
- THX 1138
- Aeon Flux
- Westworld (original)
- The Abyss
- The War Of The Worlds
- Independence Day

You forgot The Man who fell to Earth! That's a great sci-fi film, also Barbarella. Excellent list!
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->

- Moon
- Mission To Mars
- Alien, Aliens
- Solaris (2002)
- Sunshine
- Silent Running
- Gravity

- Bladerunner
- The Matrix Trilogy
- Riddick Trilogy
- Logan's Run
- THX 1138
- Aeon Flux
- Westworld (original)
- The Abyss
- The War Of The Worlds
- Independence Day

Silent Running made me cry and cry and cry.

The original Westworld was very good...scary.

Star Trek......all the series were excellent except for "Enterprise"...I didn't like that.

I haven't seen most of the others, and didn't rate Star Wars apart from the first one ever.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2019, 02:04 PM

Has anyone made a film about the Foundation trilogy?

Bit surprised, if not.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top