Join for free
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:25 AM

Re: Special Relationship with USA?

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
Before we sign up to a close trade deal with USA, I'd like to dig a bit further into our "Special Relationship" with USA because I think it is more in our rose tinted heads than in reality.

Propaganda
USA our biggest friend and ally. Helped us win the war.

Reality
Didn't enter the war until after Pearl Harbour. 4/5 German troops defeated on eastern front by Russia.
USA was neutral during Falklands war. Sucked us into the Iraq war with lies about "weapons of mass destruction".

Propaganda
The world's good guys. Defenders of democracy. Rambo films showing USA heroes hand to hand fighting the nasty Russian backed Viet Cong. Countless films like Independence day showing USA heroes including their president personally saving the planet.
Countless cowboy films showing Americans bravely shooting the nasty Indians with their evil bows and arrows.

Reality
7,662,000 TONs of bombs dropped in Vietnam/Cambodia killing 1.5 million local people "to stop the spread of communism"
Blindly dropping bombs of "Monsanto agent orange" onto forests causing countless deformities in unborn Vietnamese babies and massive pollution problems.
Korean war. More bombs.
More wars, more bombs, always bombs; these days using drones.
President germophobe conscription sick note Donald Trump.

Propaganda
Great place to live where it is clean, wealthy, everything that is good about capitalism.

Reality
400,000 firearms, 40,000 gun deaths per year
Obesity at 35%
Life expectancy for the poor much lower than Europe
Death Penalty
Privatised health care
Obscene wealth inequality
Racist police and courts
Massive pollution and carbon footprint per person.
Fracking without regulation
Chlorinated chicken, hormone treated saturated fat beef, poisonous pesticides, horrendous factory farming.

Looking at this do we really want to leave the EU single market, sign up with USA, lower our standards, pollute the oceans and start shipping their unregulated crap thousands of miles to us in the UK?
Err, Yes, we certainly do really want to leave the EU single market, Yes, we do want to sign up with trade deals with the USA, our standards are one of the highest in the world and will remain so, pollute the oceans? do you have proof the USA is responsible? and shipping their unregulated crap thousands of miles to us in the UK? Could you explain what "crap" you are referring to that is unregulated in the USA?.

As for all the "films" depicting USA troops as solely winning the war? well, we all know the Americans like to make their films exciting and especially patriotic with heroes. we have learned over time that these films are usually watched by the British with tongue in cheek. Gung ho films made by American directors for the American public. Look at "Braveheart". and the Scottish national fervour that film brought! A lot of Scottish people actually believed it !!!

You may have a loathing for the USA, but I guarantee you would be one of the first clamouring for their assistance in time of conflict. No county is perfect. We only have to look in our own back yard,
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->

you may have a loathing for the usa, but i guarantee you would be one of the first clamouring for their assistance in time of conflict. No county is perfect. We only have to look in our own back yard,

Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 12:00 PM

Totally naïve view. We are a small country. Where/when/who/how/why do you expect us to do the deals with which haven't already been covered by the EU.
Good Grief, it's Nicola Sturgeon in disguise!

Nice to see you, on here, Nicola.

If you have a quick read of all the existing stuff here, on Brexit, I'm sure you'll find what you want!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
What did you say you did for a living ? You never did answer... is it because your not who your pretending to be ?

No answers again from the expert

News just in ...

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-...using-f-35-jet

Hi

I will repeat, once again, that the EU is not part of 5 Eyes.

I will repeat that the EU has no control whatsoever over who we choose to build our 5G Network.

Your link is totally irrelevant to the thread.

I will repeat, once again, that you are calling leading Brexiteers, the ONS and the Head of the WTO Liars.

Forum members must make their own choice as to who is right.

I have made mine.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I will repeat, once again, that the EU is not part of 5 Eyes.

I will repeat that the EU has no control whatsoever over who we choose to build our 5G Network.

Your link is totally irrelevant to the thread.

I will repeat, once again, that you are calling leading Brexiteers, the ONS and the Head of the WTO Liars.

Forum members must make their own choice as to who is right.

I have made mine.

The UK is part of 5 Eyes and we are in the EU. Thats the problem - if we stay in the EU, then the USA will be seen as a threat and we will be annexed from them and 5 eyes and just about everything else.

Clear ?

Why is Germany buying Typhoon not F 35 ? Hello ? Hello ?

Gallileo .... hello ?

EU Army .... hello ?

Nord Stream 2 .... hello ?

Even if we leave the EU and we implement Huwawei infrastructure it would still damage our relationship with the USA because it would expose their data to (the potentially) Chinese state, through our systems.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:17 PM

Yet another politics-only member in here.
Welcome to the forum!!
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:34 PM

It is the brexit forum, I doubt you'll see him anywhere else.
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Good Grief, it's Nicola Sturgeon in disguise!

Nice to see you, on here, Nicola.

If you have a quick read of all the existing stuff here, on Brexit, I'm sure you'll find what you want!
Fraid not Ted. No I'm not Nicola and no we have not lined up the trade deals we need!

The Reality:
https://www.theguardian.com/business...trade-deals-eu
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Could you explain what "crap" you are referring to that is unregulated in the USA?.

Chlorinated factory farmed chicken, hormone injected beef, poisonous pesticides. The stuff that is not fit for the EU. Regulated in the USA does not mean a lot.

You may have a loathing for the USA, but I guarantee you would be one of the first clamouring for their assistance in time of conflict. No county is perfect. We only have to look in our own back yard,

So the millions they have maimed and killed in their pointless wars comes under "No country is perfect"?

The deliberate "Agent orange" bomb experimentation with real people just comes under "No country is perfect"??

I know every country has had bloody and violent pasts. We live on a violent planet but as humanity advances and learns we should learn empathy with other people and animals that share the world. Shouldn't we?
These war crimes are recent past.

The so called USA president refuses to apologise.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-05-2019, 02:59 PM

So the millions they have maimed and killed in their pointless wars comes under "No country is perfect"?

The deliberate "Agent orange" bomb experimentation with real people just comes under "No country is perfect"??

I know every country has had bloody and violent pasts. We live on a violent planet but as humanity advances and learns we should learn empathy with other people and animals that share the world. Shouldn't we?
These war crimes are recent past.

The so called USA president refuses to apologise.

If it wasn't for the USA you would be goose stepping to work and back.

Just remember that

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top