Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 08:44 PM

Re: Tusk - Hated by his own people

Originally Posted by big ben ->
I apologise, I did not know you were from the Netherlands. I was under the impression that you were referring to the liberation of Britain, the mainland of which was never occupied.
No need to apologize. It is me who is humbled by the bravery of those men (of many nations) who fought for their and our freedom.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 11:39 PM

With reference to WWII, I thought this might be interesting. Little mentioned history about the Liverpool May Blitz 1941.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93bre8OFldE

One lady near to my gran lost all her 6 children in one night.
A bomb landed in my fathers garden, and the whole of the Liverpool waterfront was ablaze for as far as could be seen .

Thought Big Ben might be interested.

Yes, Solasch, I see what you referred to, so apologies from me.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Solasch ->
Perhaps a few additions that may explain why donald tusk is not a fan of you british. In the second world war a lot of polish men fought side by side with the english. One of them was the grandfather of donald tusk.
As most on this forum will know, the poles were betrayed by montgomery in operation market garden. Many brave polish men were needlessly killed.

As to the battle of britain, polish fliers had an important role in that. There were two polish battalions (302 and 303). Somewhere I found these words of air officer commanding Hugh Dowding:

I must confess that I had been a little doubtful of the effect which their experience in their own countries and in France might have had upon the Polish and Czech pilots, but my doubts were laid to rest, because all three squadrons swung into the fight with a dash and enthusiasm which is beyond praise. They were inspired by a burning hatred for the Germans which made them very deadly opponents.[
The Polish sailors were no different. Engaging two German battleships and a heavy cruiser with air cover of over 400 fighters with only a small squadron of MGB’s and MTB’s was extremely daring to say the least

https://www.alliesinwar.com/Gordon_Cavell's_EX-Naval_Gun_Boat.html

Some years ago MGB S3 was up for sale for £37k and in hindsight maybe I should have bought it
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 07:55 AM

Why oh why are people so hell bent on running the British down? According to many we appeared to have taken no part in the second world war, it was the Americans, Australians, Canadians, and every country that took part except Britain. praise is heaped, and rightly so, on the Polish, Czech and other nationality heros who took part in the Battle of Britain and in other theatres of war but believe it or not there were Brits there as well. I,m taking nothing away from our allies, in my regiment we had several Polish lads. One of them won a MM. But where ever and when ever the second world war is discussed it,s what the other nations did as though the Brits did nothing. As for operation Market Garden. No-one knew till it was too late that there was a battle hardened German division being 'rested' in the area, so let,s not blame Montgomery for that. Think back a little earlier to the Battle of El-Alamein. Who was responsible for pushing back the much vaunted Africa Corps. Let,s remember that Britain also took part in the second world war as well.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 08:30 AM

Why oh why are people so hell bent on running the British down? According to many we appeared to have taken no part in the second world war, it was the Americans, Australians, Canadians, and every country that took part except Britain. praise is heaped, and rightly so, on the Polish, Czech and other nationality heros who took part in the Battle of Britain and in other theatres of war but believe it or not there were Brits there as well. I,m taking nothing away from our allies, in my regiment we had several Polish lads. One of them won a MM. But where ever and when ever the second world war is discussed it,s what the other nations did as though the Brits did nothing. As for operation Market Garden. No-one knew till it was too late that there was a battle hardened German division being 'rested' in the area, so let,s not blame Montgomery for that. Think back a little earlier to the Battle of El-Alamein. Who was responsible for pushing back the much vaunted Africa Corps. Let,s remember that Britain also took part in the second world war as well.

Its because they are "haters", BB.

They never achieved anything and most likely spent their entire lives as a dysfunctional failure.

I wouldn't let them get to you BB, thankfully there are only 3 or four haters on here that are in denial. They are easy to spot because they will keep telling you how clever they are ....
big ben
United Kingdom
big ben is male  big ben has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Its because they are "haters", BB.

They never achieved anything and most likely spent their entire lives as a dysfunctional failure.

I wouldn't let them get to you BB, thankfully there are only 3 or four haters on here that are in denial. They are easy to spot because they will keep telling you how clever they are ....
Thanks for that. I can give several instances where we were made to take a 'back seat' One of the most outstanding in my view is the German surrender of Paris. The British and American forces were within the outskirts of the city and were ordered back so that a french division which at the time were several miles from the city could enter it first. General Jacques Philippe LeClerc would lead the French division and 'liberate' the city. but he would not enter until the newsreels and press were there to record the triumphant entry. Headlines in the papers. Free French Forces liberate Paris when in fact the Americans and British were there first.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 10:08 AM

Thanks for that. I can give several instances where we were made to take a 'back seat' One of the most outstanding in my view is the German surrender of Paris. The British and American forces were within the outskirts of the city and were ordered back so that a french division which at the time were several miles from the city could enter it first. General Jacques Philippe LeClerc would lead the French division and 'liberate' the city. but he would not enter until the newsreels and press were there to record the triumphant entry. Headlines in the papers. Free French Forces liberate Paris when in fact the Americans and British were there first.
Fascinating stuff BB.

I was in Rouen a few years ago and noticed that quite a few of the buildings that line the narrow streets have chips and scuffs on the corners and sides of them. They were made by the tanks which hit them as they were navigating their way through during the liberation.

The church has a plaque outside that explains how it got its peppered dents and chips over the walls. When it was liberated by the British and the Americans, the Germans sought refuge in the church and declared it an embassy so they would have immunity and not be killed by the allies. Ofcourse, we had none of that and opened fire - hence the walls of the church being blasted by machine guns etc.
big ben
United Kingdom

08-05-2019, 10:56 AM

And, did you know that the French division were all hand picked white men and no coloured French Colonial troops were permitted to take part in the 'liberation' of Paris so racism was as rife then as now.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

08-05-2019, 11:01 AM

And, did you know that the French division were all hand picked white men and no coloured French Colonial troops were permitted to take part in the 'liberation' of Paris so racism was as rife then as now.
No I didn't know that BB.

Switzerland is pretty bad for racism as well - you wouldn't think it would you ?

There was an advert I saw on a billboard couple of years ago regarding one of the elections and the picture was a field with a load of white sheep inside a round fence and a single black sheep outside of it.

The slogan was something to do with immigration and jobs etc.
Solasch
Chatterbox
Netherlands
Solasch is male  Solasch has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2019, 11:41 AM

I'm dutch, but born in suriname. In 1940 some 500 men from surinam reported in england to enter the prinses irene brigade. The dutch government refused them because volunteers from south africa and enlisted men might take umbrage to serving with black people.
Racism takes long to eradicate, and stops when countries do not emphasize their differences but their similarities. In short a union. Does that ring any bells?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top