Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Re: Painkillers

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Sounds like you have got it under control UJ, it's usually a matter of trying to find what works best. I find Zapain the easiest to tolerate even with the 30mg tablets, but some people can take Tramadol with no problems.
It's strange how sometimes there is no pain and sometimes it's really bad.

Like you Anita darlin' I too can't take Tramadol, nor amatryptaline either - nasty stuff!!!

To deal with the unpleasant side effects of Zapain, I eat Nectarines.
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 12:56 PM

Good plan UJ, I eat grapes and oranges.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Anita ->
Sorry to hear you had a rotten night Patsy, I understand a bit as I have a collapsed disk which causes nerve pain which goes down my arms. I don't think acupuncture is a quick solution to that kind of pain. It's a matter of trying different things or combinations of things. The stronger painkillers are hard to take, what I try to do is take one co-codamol, they are called zapain now,the 30mg codeine one with one ordinary paracetamol so you are getting the full amount of paracetamol with less codeine. The co-codamol comes in different doses but when the pain is bad I need at least one 30mg. I can't tolerate Tramadol and def won't take them, but when I have a flare up I manage with heated wheat bags and the painkillers for night time.
You're right Anita - different strings for different things, the pins and needles are all over unfortunately, neuro science still don't understand the nerves syndrome.
So I do whats best for me, one tablet, sometimes max of 2, Tens and lots of cooling aids, which I heat up in seconds !
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 04:26 PM

Hubby has spinal arthritis and has had two operations, to remove three discs and quite an amount of bone.
He was told to be very cautious (they can't do any more surgery) so we work together when doing lifting, gardening or decorating. If he damages his back again, he could end up paralysed.

He took co-codamol at first but is now trying ibuprofen to alleviate inflammation around the neck area.

The thing about pain is, if it's there and worse, you know you have over done it, so that's when we rest and he takes a pain killer. It's important though, to take some exercise, to strengthen the muscles around the affected area.
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 05:10 PM

Tramodol gives me hallucinations. I first had it in hospital after my bowel op. and woke in the night with all the other patients dead and men with guns lying under the beds the ward was full of smoke and I was trying to get the sister to crawl out on the floor while I talked to the men!!! what a night, I disconnect my morphine and tried to get the urine bag off when the sister found me. Never again.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
The thing about pain is, if it's there and worse, you know you have over done it, so that's when we rest and he takes a pain killer. It's important though, to take some exercise, to strengthen the muscles around the affected area.
You are absolutely right Janela.

Pain is an indication, we don't like it but it is needed to warn us that something is wrong, also muscle tone is important too as you rightly say as muscle 'protects' the area that is damaged.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
Tramodol gives me hallucinations. I first had it in hospital after my bowel op. and woke in the night with all the other patients dead and men with guns lying under the beds the ward was full of smoke and I was trying to get the sister to crawl out on the floor while I talked to the men!!! what a night, I disconnect my morphine and tried to get the urine bag off when the sister found me. Never again.
That sounds more likely to be a side effect of the Morphine annie.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 07:51 PM

Well after trying acupuncture years ago when I decided to stop smoking, didn't work, I don't think I'd want to go there again. The needles irritated me so much I had to get rid!!
Anita
Midlands, UK
Anita is female  Anita has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2014, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
That sounds more likely to be a side effect of the Morphine annie.
That's what I was thinking too Pats, I had hallucinations from Pethedine when I was having my daughter 30 years ago.
I didn't know I was giving birth, I though I was being chopped to pieces by the blades of a helicopter that had come crashing through the wall. It was a shock to 'come to' and see the baby.

I am always sick if I have morphine, for example after surgery, does anyone know if something is usually given to stop this or if you have to ask?
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2014, 06:09 AM

The burning feet thing is apparently a condition doctors don't understand provided they have checked for diabetes and neuropathy, neither of which i have. They tend to think it's a nerve in the spine sending wrong messages to the brain and nothing much can be done.

Painkillers have no effect at all so I just put up with it. It's usually OK from morning to late afternoon then gets worse in the evening. Some days I don't have it at all and other days it's really awful. Great fun growing old isn't it?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top