Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:17 PM

Re: Changing boundaries

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Pesta I never knew my mother she died when I was a baby and I got on well with my MIL who considered me to be one of her daughters so calling her Mother seemed appropriate
TBH Meg, I remembered you'd said about losing your mum and wondered if that was why you called MIL Mother. I wanted to ask, but thought it a bit delicate and I'm not very tactful at the best of times.

Sounds like you had a lovely relationship with her
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:18 PM

When I started work, all the "senior' staff were called Mr, Mrs or Miss, and woe betide if you ever called them by their first name whilst in work, some were so scary I wouldn't even call them their christian names when on staff does

I hate being called Mrs Missy, I always say thats my husbands mother and I insist on my christian name

I just never have felt grown up enough to be called Mrs Missy, its just so old fashioned
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2018, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tiffany ->
I remember as an older child calling all adults who were friends parents Mr & Mrs.
Adult cousins & second cousins by their Christian names, uncles or aunts by their Christian names with uncle or aunt in front.
My Daughter now 47 still calls my brother & Sis-in-Law uncle & aunt & my Brother-in-Law uncle, I have no idea why she still calls them that still, but his ex wife she calls Lyn.
Oh yes Tiff, aunts and uncles! They were always christian names with 'aunt' or 'uncle' in front.
Then when I became of an age the 'aunt' and 'uncle' were dropped and it was christian names.
Funnily enough I didn't feel disrespectful calling them by their names. They were always so much fun, it was easy for me to do it.
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK

28-08-2018, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
When I started work, all the "senior' staff were called Mr, Mrs or Miss, and woe betide if you ever called them by their first name whilst in work, some were so scary I wouldn't even call them their christian names when on staff does

I hate being called Mrs Missy, I always say thats my husbands mother and I insist on my christian name

I just never have felt grown up enough to be called Mrs Missy, its just so old fashioned
Now, I'd find that hard (in my younger days), calling senior staff by their christian names.

Recently, I bumped into my daughters Head teacher from primary school days. All the parents obviously called him 'Mr'. So to meet him nearly 30 yrs later, I felt a bit out of my depth knowing what to call him. So I called him 'Mr' and the name of the school, instead of his surname .
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 02:29 AM

On this forum our spouses are known as 'Mrs. Floyd', 'Mrs. Fox' and er, 'Mr. Sweetie Pie' lol.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 04:16 AM

One of the charming things about living in the American South is that older ladies, even when it might be appropriate to call them by their first names, are instead titled "Miss" in front of their names. For men, it's "Mister." It's the perfect mix of familiarity and respect.

When people don't know each other or there is reason to offer respect - age, position, etc. - we still refer to each other as "sir" or "ma'am."
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 06:03 AM

I can't remember calling anybody Mr or Mrs (except teachers) it's usually been christian names.

When I was a kid I didn't call my friend's parents by any names when speaking to them, I always seemed able to avoid it but if referring to them to my parents or other friends it would be "Susan's Mum/Dad/Parents".

My in laws I've always called Mum and Dad but my husband, and also my brother in law, referred to my Mum as Mum and my Dad by his christian name.

And yes, any dog walkers whose names I don't know are Mr or Mrs *insert dogs name*.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 06:26 AM

I don't like to be addressed by my first name by people I do not ( and am never likely to) know - tradesmen, shop assistants, faceless voices over the telephone etc., What I dislike even more is someone who immediately thinks they can abbreviate my first name! They never do it more than once!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 07:02 AM

Mr, Mrs etc is good, especially when their name is hard to pronounce, also, some folks like to be treated with a bit of formality.
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Remember when we were growing up and friends parents were 'Mr and Mrs', neighbours/shop keepers/whoever were 'Mr and Mrs' (unless they were titled of course ).

I don't know if it was the same for you, but when I became a certain age (ie adult) it suddenly changed. It seemed a matter of course that those same people wished me to call them by their christian names.

I found it quite difficult initially to be on 'friendly' terms with those I almost thought of as 'authoritative' - it felt disrespectful.

It seems to be the norm now to call adults by their christian name. Do your children's partners etc or young people call you by your christian name?

My husband and I have no problem being called by our first names by our sons-in-law, we prefer it.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top