Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 02:07 AM

Re: Can We Talk About Peas?

I prefer beans usually but peas?..Fresh in the pod thanks. I don't mind shelling. When I cook I listen to music and have a beer or two. Time doesn't matter. I have all day..lucky me!
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I may regret asking this - but what is in a faggot?

The only ones I have come across have been bundles of wood or an embroidery stitch.
Uncooked:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faggot_(food)

Faggots are meatballs made from minced off-cuts and offal, especially pork (traditionally pig's heart, liver, and fatty belly meat or bacon) together with herbs for flavouring and sometimes added bread crumbs. The mixture is shaped by hand into small balls, wrapped with caul fat (the omentum membrane from the pig's abdomen), and baked. It is a traditional dish in the English Midlands.

The first use of the term in print, as cited in the Oxford English Dictionary, dates from 1851, in a piece by Henry Mayhew in which he describes a dish identical to the modern product with chopped liver and lights in an outer wrapper of caul.
Cooked:

A "batch" is the name for a bread roll, bap, barm, breadcake, bun, cob or teacake in Coventry, Nuneaton and parts of north Warwickshire.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 08:38 AM

Birds Eye large pack of frozen peas. I chuck peas in with most things I make, because they go with everything. A nice dollop of unsalted butter sometimes, make them even yummier!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 08:44 AM

Hi Art,

I like Frozen Pies (Birds Eye), they come in a re-sealable bag, they are really nice and sweet, I also like Mushy Peas.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Faggot & pea batch!!

Now this is something that Mr M has mentioned from his distance past .
I have never cooked a faggot in my life how does one go about it ?
I can manage to open a can of radioactive mush
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Frozen petit pois is the way to go because they are kept fresher than anything else. Tinned peas are ugh! I remember having fresh peas as a child. Peas always remind me of the John Major and Norma spitting image sketches. I have a love hate thing with them. But recently it's become more affectionate.
I thought the same for 20 or 30 years, but now I'm back into the older more mature peas that come in a tin.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 10:33 AM

There's a Portuguese favourite quick meal for when you have unexpected guests. Assuming you have peas in the freezer plus bacon/chorizo, eggs an whatever. A quick stew with peas, and the eggs get poached on top.

https://www.crumbblog.com/recipe-rew...-and-chourico/
PooBear
United Kingdom
PooBear is male  PooBear has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 10:51 AM

Be very careful when cooking peas - too long and they'll start turning brown.

Once cooked drop them in cold water and put them in the fridge. When they are wanted simply drop them into boiling water for no more than a minute and serve.
Bathsheba
Devon, UK
Bathsheba is female  Bathsheba has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Bathsheba, You say, Artic Royal Battered fish fillets? Do you know what fish they are. If you say, cod or haddock then l would love to try them.
If it’s ‘Fish’ as in Pollock or Coley.... No Thanks! That’s for cats!
Oh they are cod Artangel - and yes, i agree about pollock and coley!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2021, 11:16 AM

I love peas I buy the big bags of Birds eye petit pois with the zip locks .
They are great in soup also in spicy rice and samosas because they are small.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top