Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2015, 11:52 PM

Who's good with technology?

I am having several problems with my laptop, but not my big computer.

Firstly I keep getting a message telling me if I 'Disable Add Ons' it will speed up my browsing.
What are ads-ons? Do I need to do anything?

2. The cursor stops responding. It either won't move at all, or else it moves jerkily, not properly.

3. Screen freezes and message appears saying "Internet Explorer had to close and re-open this page" (This happens a lot when I am on this forum).

4. Screen freezes and message appears saying "IE not responding". When this happens, I can't even shut down and turn off.

What on earth is going on, any ideas please? I'm really fed up with it.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 12:30 AM

Re: Who's good with technology?

With this type of question more details on the laptop is needed first

is it a windows based laptop? easiest way if it is is to do system restore to earlier time

I don't know about apple laptops but think it is something called time machine but can't be sure
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 01:01 AM

If you are on Windows 8, I've got the same but not point 4. I use Firefox and have no problems.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 01:09 AM

It is Windows 8.1 and no one seems to like it from what I understand.
I don't know where to get help, because the repair man tells me he only fixes machines that are broken - and mine isn't!
I'm wondering if I might have a virus?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 01:13 AM

ok
above the start there may be an empty box you can type in. If so type in "system restore". then you should get options to be able to go back to a time before the problems started.
Or go to the help box and type it in. the computer should show dates you can go back to. So select a date before the problem started
Just follow the instruction when in system restore section

you won't loose any files either
It should look something like this with the dates in the square on the right. Enlarge to see better

Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:12 AM

About 6months ago I was having trouble with IE so downloaded Google Chrome which was better. I was also having trouble similar to you so I decided to get a new laptop - much better. If everything freezes the only way I knew how to deal with it was to disconnect the battery momentarily and restart it.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 08:27 AM

I also have Windows 8.1 but use google chrome, not internet explorer. I also have the problem of my cursor sticking and find it releases if you hit the ESC key. Can only suggest you try that and also try the occasional reboot.

One other thing I've been doing lately, is using CCleaner.......but you can tweak it so it doesn't loose all your passwords, favourite websites etc etc. Take a look at:
http://www.howtogeek.com/113382/how-...9-tips-tricks/

The above website also has various discussions on geek-type things including the new free upgrade to Windows 10..............can it possibly be worse than Windows 8???
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I am having several problems with my laptop, but not my big computer.

Firstly I keep getting a message telling me if I 'Disable Add Ons' it will speed up my browsing.
What are ads-ons? Do I need to do anything?

2. The cursor stops responding. It either won't move at all, or else it moves jerkily, not properly.

3. Screen freezes and message appears saying "Internet Explorer had to close and re-open this page" (This happens a lot when I am on this forum).

4. Screen freezes and message appears saying "IE not responding". When this happens, I can't even shut down and turn off.

What on earth is going on, any ideas please? I'm really fed up with it.
I get all the above, especially on my desktop. I sometimes try the Control + Alt + Delete route, to get task manager. Then you can stop whatever has stopped running, and end the task. Doesn't always work with me and I have to switch off at the mains and reboot. Sometimes my desktop can behave like this for an hour until I get everything running ok.

Could be insufficient memory, or too many processes running. I know how to cure the first, but even I wouldn't delete processes, as I don't what's needed and what isn't.

ETA.
Just Googled Add Ons, because I've never looked into it.

They are apps used by IE to interact with web content like videos or games. (Adobe Flash, Quicktime, Silverlight). Toolbars and Extensions are Add Ons. Can cause browsers to run slowly or crash.

Go to Tools (the cog).
Manage Add Ons
Show
All Add Ons
Select the one to turn off
Disable
Close

I'll give that a go on my desktop (and laptop) later and see if the machines run better.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 09:41 AM

Ive had this problem past and present,im on Windows 7 only happens on laptop,and i get Firefox not responding ,ive considered also system restore but have been nervous incase i lose important files .
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-01-2015, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
I also have Windows 8.1 but use google chrome, not internet explorer. I also have the problem of my cursor sticking and find it releases if you hit the ESC key. Can only suggest you try that and also try the occasional reboot.

One other thing I've been doing lately, is using CCleaner.......but you can tweak it so it doesn't loose all your passwords, favourite websites etc etc. Take a look at:
http://www.howtogeek.com/113382/how-...9-tips-tricks/

The above website also has various discussions on geek-type things including the new free upgrade to Windows 10..............can it possibly be worse than Windows 8???

Hi Lindy, tried the Escape key, but still nothing moves. I get so cross because I don't know how to shut the thing down without being able to move the cursor anywhere.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top