Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Re: Who's good with technology?

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
About 6months ago I was having trouble with IE so downloaded Google Chrome which was better. I was also having trouble similar to you so I decided to get a new laptop - much better. If everything freezes the only way I knew how to deal with it was to disconnect the battery momentarily and restart it.

Alan, it IS a brand new laptop, I only bought it at Christmas.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
ok
above the start there may be an empty box you can type in. If so type in "system restore". then you should get options to be able to go back to a time before the problems started.
Or go to the help box and type it in. the computer should show dates you can go back to. So select a date before the problem started
Just follow the instruction when in system restore section

you won't loose any files either
It should look something like this with the dates in the square on the right. Enlarge to see better

Reelspeed, what page is this box on to type in? Are you on Homepage or Control panel?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-01-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I get all the above, especially on my desktop. I sometimes try the Control + Alt + Delete route, to get task manager. Then you can stop whatever has stopped running, and end the task. Doesn't always work with me and I have to switch off at the mains and reboot. Sometimes my desktop can behave like this for an hour until I get everything running ok.

Could be insufficient memory, or too many processes running. I know how to cure the first, but even I wouldn't delete processes, as I don't what's needed and what isn't.

ETA.
Just Googled Add Ons, because I've never looked into it.

They are apps used by IE to interact with web content like videos or games. (Adobe Flash, Quicktime, Silverlight). Toolbars and Extensions are Add Ons. Can cause browsers to run slowly or crash.

Go to Tools (the cog).
Manage Add Ons
Show
All Add Ons
Select the one to turn off
Disable
Close

I'll give that a go on my desktop (and laptop) later and see if the machines run better.

Interesting Jazzi, but the Cont/Alt/Delete used to work on my big PC, but it doesn't bring up any task manager on this stupid thing!
Will go and have a look at the Ad Ons . . . thanks.

Anyone want to buy a new laptop??????????
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 11:48 AM

You could always unplug it from the wall - I've known that tricky exercise to work in the past!

As for the cursor - I've bought a wireless mouse which I use when doing anything other than just browsing - cost about Ģ10.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 12:21 PM

Regarding the sticking mouse, it may be that its at fault, a cheap option i found was buying a one from poundland and trying it and it worked.

Do you use anything to keep you computer managed ? like disk defragmentor, or free online products like Ccleaner, Malwarebtyes, od SuperAntispyware. ?
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Reelspeed, what page is this box on to type in? Are you on Homepage or Control panel?
should be on the startup page alternative is go into help
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 12:29 PM

I thought the sticking cursor was when using the keypad thingey...........??
2wheeler
Lincolnshire
2wheeler is male  2wheeler has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 04:35 PM

Usually a dodgy cursor is due to a lot of background activity using up the compīs resources - you need to get up a task manager window to see whatīs going on under the bonnet. Sounds like malware or a virus to me - thatīs where I would be looking.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 05:57 PM

Mups, try switching off the computer, then also switch off at the mains for a couple of minutes.
Switch on again - sometimes that's all that's needed .......
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-01-2015, 06:22 PM

It is the scourge of the internet - and computers - hacking, especially browser hyjacking programs. Anyone could make a damn good living helping people remove these.

A browser hijacker is a type of malware designed to change your browser's settings. A browser hijacker changes your web browser's home page and default search provider to a different one without your permission. The toolbars are usually bundled with certain free programs that you normally download and install.
No way could I talk anyone through trying to remove them - it would just do my head in.

Take it to someone that knows a thing or 2 is my advice.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top