Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 04:18 PM

Being Excluded by Technology.

As most of you all know, I'm deaf and one of the really annoying things for me these days is the move to mobiles and Smart phones which I actually cannot really use with email being superseded altogether, instead of used in conjunction with 'phones.

I saw this today: -

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/shop...ile-phone.html

So I wondered what others think of this because this would affect me and a lot of others too.

To me it's yet another thoughtless way the world's excluding people and it is just plain wrong! stevmk2
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 04:25 PM

Re: Being Excluded by Technology.

I think it is an utter disgrace for car parks to operate like that. It's a car park. Big deal. Why would you need a mobile phone account or app to park a bloomin car? I despair

Steve, as you can tell, I think it's ridiculous.

There'll be an app for using a public toilet next...............
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 04:28 PM

Our council tried the mobile phone system for on street parking, but there were so many complaints that they had to stop it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 05:16 PM

I think I would be complaining about it is they tried that here, I only have a basic mobile for emergencies unless they want to buy me a new phone and pay for the contract of course !
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 05:28 PM

I recently sent a query via email to a Garden Centre but got no reply.
I'd emailed them many times before and they'd always replied but this time - nothing.

We went there last week, just for something to do rather than sit indoors trying to keep warm and I asked them why they'd never replied.

"We don't monitor emails any more" came the reply.
"It's phones now"

I pointed out that their website clearly states that Contacts are by 'phone, in writing or by email using THEIR contact form so they are in fact breaching their stated trading terms according to Trading Standards. (I know 'cos I asked them!)

The response was a shrug of the shoulders from the child I spoke to who was, apparently, Manager of Customer Relations. stevmk2.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
I recently sent a query via email to a Garden Centre but got no reply.
I'd emailed them many times before and they'd always replied but this time - nothing.

We went there last week, just for something to do rather than sit indoors trying to keep warm and I asked them why they'd never replied.

"We don't monitor emails any more" came the reply.
"It's phones now"

I pointed out that their website clearly states that Contacts are by 'phone, in writing or by email using THEIR contact form so they are in fact breaching their stated trading terms according to Trading Standards. (I know 'cos I asked them!)

The response was a shrug of the shoulders from the child I spoke to who was, apparently, Manager of Customer Relations. stevmk2.
That is worrying many people for various reasons don't use phones but prefer email. My husband hasn't made a phone call since his stroke he gets too tongue tied trying to find the words, email opened up the world to him again.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes

01-02-2015, 06:09 PM

We've just had a bit of a worry - and it does highlight the problems.

My wife realised just now that there was a voicemail on her mobile and it turned out to be brother-in-law's home phone.

MIL is in sheltered accommodation so we thought there was something wrong again and my wife rang him.

In the end she had to ring his mobile because he's one of these daft b*****s that never uses landlines so we found out that MIL is there with him and has been since yesterday so, despite my wife telling her to ring our home phone and leave a message if we are out, she did it again with my wife's mobile!

She is getting on for 91 years old and modern technology is lost on her!

Going online and using an app would be MIL's equivalent of piloting a space craft! stevmk2
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 07:47 PM

There is a large carpark behind our towns railway station.. It used to be well used but then it was sold off and the new owners use system of payment that is either by credit card or smart phone..
As a result the carpark is now all but empty. It gets used by people for remote control cars and a few people doing heel work with their dogs. Meanwhile residents in nearby streets can't find anywhere to park near their own homes.....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
There is a large carpark behind our towns railway station.. It used to be well used but then it was sold off and the new owners use system of payment that is either by credit card or smart phone..
As a result the carpark is now all but empty. It gets used by people for remote control cars and a few people doing heel work with their dogs. Meanwhile residents in nearby streets can't find anywhere to park near their own homes.....
And before long it'll be sold off for housing.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 08:35 PM

This is what I was saying back last year, fortunately they've put pay & display machines in now http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=19245

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top