Join for free
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 07:49 PM

Sony Reader PRS-505

Been given the above reader, but Sony have discontinued its book store. Is it any further use, or just a museum piece? Nicely made and charges OK, but KOBO seems to pop up on the Web.....

Thanks
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 08:55 PM

Re: Sony Reader PRS-505

Plenty of books available for it apparently. Check out the comments / reviews on this page ...

Amazon: Sony Reader eBook
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB
Dobra is male  Dobra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 10:23 PM

Thanks MKJ
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Been given the above reader, but Sony have discontinued its book store. Is it any further use, or just a museum piece? Nicely made and charges OK, but KOBO seems to pop up on the Web.....

Thanks
I have used Sony eReaders for years. The big advantage of them is that they are not tied to one book store you can download from any book store anywhere in the world.

You might also try to download Calibre which is an ebook management system which works with just about any ereader. as well as a manager it also converts one format to any other. Warning: don't run the Sony Reader program at the same time as you run calibre (or vice versa) they both use the ereader's database so it can get corrupted.

Sony readers are so much better than Kindles but it just shows the power of Amazon that they have been discontinued. The device you have been given is excellent and frees you from the tyranny of Amazon.
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 07:25 AM

As Bruce knows, because we have swapped books for our devices, I've had one for years too and besides buying books for it from e-book shops you can also download free books from many sites including the Gutenberg Project, as long as it's in e-pub format (unless you want to do the converting with Calibre),

If you want to message me privately with your email I can send you any of the many book files I have. it's just a matter of filing them onto your desktop and then plugging in your Sony and transferring them.
Dobra
Isle of Wight GB

03-02-2015, 10:35 PM

Thanks for your help both of you. Have downloaded Calibre, now trying to decipher it. !
digital granma
Co. Durham, England
digital granma is female  digital granma has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2015, 02:00 PM

I have a Kindle and love it. The choice on Amazon is so great that not being able to buy elsewhere is of no importance. I have never not been able to find the story I am looking for on Amazon in the years since I started to use it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top