Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 03:14 PM

Re: computer interrogation

MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 03:16 PM

Neat.
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 05:49 PM

I have a hamster running around in a wheel which makes my computer work. When it gets too old and arthritic, I just swap it out for younger model. Cleaning the hard drive usually involves brushing out the poop which accumulates at the bottom. I used to have a mouse, but they can't run fast enough to boot Windows.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 07:03 PM

I used to use Belarc about 10 or 12 years ago but, really, it told me nothing I didn't know or didn't need to know.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 07:19 PM

ooh Tachyon I could never remember all those serial numbers or the details that might be useful.

It also saves searching through loads of stuff to find them
I posted it for those that might be interested a little more in their computer.

I accept what you say and my guess is most members would not want to know as well

However it is a subject under technology not bought up before as far as i am aware
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2015, 07:48 PM

I've always had Belarc on my pc's, it's there when I need it
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-02-2015, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I've always had Belarc on my pc's, it's there when I need it

No good on the computer if the hard drive packs up, my advice is to have a hard copy printed out as well
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

10-02-2015, 09:38 PM

Hello Realspeed.
I have downloaded the program and run it, now I need your advise.
I have a LENOVO all in one computer win 7.
It says I have 2 slots empty in memory modules.

4096 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB (serial number 00F2E103)
Slot 'DIMM1' has 2048 MB (serial number 00F2C903)
Slot 'DIMM2' is Empty
Slot 'DIMM3' is Empty
Is it worth getting two more Dimms.
Your advise would be good to me and my aging computer.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

10-02-2015, 10:34 PM

i would say yes and get another 2 EXACTLY the same as already in there. .

at the moment you have 4gig of Ram which really is the minimum to get modern or older computers to run programs on nowadays with modern programs.

if you play games then you will certainly see a difference

I can't stress enough they must be the same as already in there but not necessarily the same make.
if you feel you are unsure which or what pop along to any computer shop and get them to add them

This should help you to do it yourself

http://shop.lenovo.com/gb/en/accessories/memory/

just put in your model number where it say in the box and you should be ok

So what difference would you find by adding more RAM?
RAM (Random Access Memory) is very basically what a computer finds what you want to display on a screen. memory chips run in pairs , without getting too technical and i don't advise it you could add 2 more say 8 gig of Ram memory 2x4 but that could unbalance how the memory works somewhat so don't do it

I boosted mine up to 16 gig of RAM so i could run several programs side by side and you will be able to do the same with 8 gig of RAM (see my slots in picture)

Think of it like a map 4 gig Ram will allow you to look at one section of a map then will have to search another section as so on

Increase it to 8 gig and it can look in a larger area on the map at once so has to search less

So by adding double the amount won't automatically double the search speed but you will certainly see things happening that much quicker.

hope this helps and do put your computer model number in that link to get the right ones.

I suspect on youtube there are plenty of places to show you how.

Oh just one other thing if you don't have a earth strap on yor wrist do touch a cold water pipe or something that will discharge any static electricity in your body. Best done while not standing on a carpet unless strapped up. Silly i know but unplug the computer first

Don't panic it is so easy to do and do have a look on youtube first
there are other ways to increase computer speed put I would not go there , it is called overclocking, but adding more RAM is ok

Don't forget to get rid of any dust while your at it , something like a Rocket blower is ideal, not a compressed air cannister type thing.
the more air flow the cooler the computer the better it runs

Another factor is the computer processor which can make a lot of difference but don't even go there, just for your information
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-02-2015, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
When my computer slows down i just wind up the laccy band.
. is that the big key shaped thing on the back ?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top