Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 02:41 PM

Re: Recommend a program

That's OK Meg - You don't need it, as indeed we don't need many programs that might get installed or tried. Trying a few programs out and writing is just an interest I have. Without doing that, the computer becomes a bit boring for me.

I suppose a forum needs posts but of course they can always be skipped.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that Meg is a Moderator and can't skip posts. A yawn could be OK though.
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

12-02-2015, 02:42 PM

Well done Mark you put it a lot better than I did, thanks.
I tried Jarte, downloaded it with no bother, plus looked at you-tube of it, I'm very pleased with what i did on it, 10 times better than Word and quick to.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 05:13 PM

The screenshot below shows some text typed into Jarte. It is possible to use Jarte as a proper word processor (it adds extras to Wordpad) but I don't use it that way. It is set to plain text mode and used purely as a Notepad replacement. The free version includes the spell checker but the 'underline errors as you type' option comes only with the paid version.

Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2015, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
That's OK Meg - You don't need it, as indeed we don't need many programs that might get installed or tried. Trying a few programs out and writing is just an interest I have. Without doing that, the computer becomes a bit boring for me.

I suppose a forum needs posts but of course they can always be skipped.

Edit: Sorry, I forgot that Meg is a Moderator and can't skip posts. A yawn could be OK though.
no not a yawn Mart, it is kind of people like Reg and yourself to bother with recommendations even if it is over the head of people like me
mart
Chatterbox
South of England

12-02-2015, 05:59 PM

Thanks Meg - Some programs can be more difficult and lengthy to write about than they are to use. Lots of words needed to describe a few mouse-clicks sometimes.

I know I can be a bit wordy. You should have seen the length of the post about Quicknote before I cut it down!
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-02-2015, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I find the internet these days is absolutely swamped with dodgy downloads, even the ones off long established sites. Loads will install some background program without you knowing it. FREE programs especially are to blame for this. Just be aware that, as in life, anything 'FREE' is something rare and usually has a price somewhere down the line.
Not entirely true. However you certainly need to read every page when installing updates from 'reputable' companies like Adobe and Java (Oracle) to avoid installing addons that you don't want.

There is one excellent source of excellent FREE programs, no matter what you want they will have something. They may vary from quick and dirty but does the job to quite sophisticated programming.

Because it is all open source there is little or no chance of it having any spyware or malware contained within. You can download the source code and modify it to suit yourself.

When ever I am looking for a piece of software this is always my first port of call.

http://sourceforge.net/

Personally for quick notes etc I find Sticky Notes that is built into Windows to be more than adequate. The notes on the Desktop are easily added, changed or removed.

Start > All Programs > Accessories > Sticky Notes

I use Textpad as a replacement for Notepad however it is not free.
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

18-02-2015, 10:13 AM

It has been 2 weeks now with using the program, I have used it every day and I will be honest with you, it is the best free program I have used, it is so easy to use and helpful, I run my bank and doctors web sites from it, I keep all my book writing notes there, the only down side is it don't make the tea.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top