Join for free
ZX81
Alresford and beond
ZX81 is male 

20-02-2015, 10:15 PM

More electrics

Now flushed with success with my lights I am going to tackle my shed at the bottom of the garden.
Many years ago I wired from the trip switch to a water proof socket at the far end of my garden, this was for a water pump in my pond, it was placed in a brick made box.
From there I ran a lead under ground to my shed for power points, this lead is under the concrete base of the shed.
For over 10 years this has been ok till this winter, it now keeps tripping the trip switch.
I have now turned it off.
Any idea the best way to test this, I have a test meter.
I suspect it maybe water or damp in the socket in the small brick box as this is below ground or part level with it.
PS. the main cable from the house is about 2 feet deep and covered with paving slabs and now shingle on top.
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 11:08 PM

Re: More electrics

Originally Posted by ZX81 ->
Now flushed with success with my lights I am going to tackle my shed at the bottom of the garden.
Many years ago I wired from the trip switch to a water proof socket at the far end of my garden, this was for a water pump in my pond, it was placed in a brick made box.
From there I ran a lead under ground to my shed for power points, this lead is under the concrete base of the shed.
For over 10 years this has been ok till this winter, it now keeps tripping the trip switch.
I have now turned it off.
Any idea the best way to test this, I have a test meter.
I suspect it maybe water or damp in the socket in the small brick box as this is below ground or part level with it.
PS. the main cable from the house is about 2 feet deep and covered with paving slabs and now shingle on top.
Don't use it again. I would think that the insulation may have decayed .I would say its now dangerous to use.
If you wish to replace it use armoured cable.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 11:14 PM

Speaking as a man who has worked with electricity for more than fifty years, I worry for you Reg. If you were a qualified electrician why do you feel the need to ask advice? Electricity kills!! Electricity and water kills even quicker! I fear you will keep going until something awful happens. Take my advice my friend and get a qualified person in to sort this out for you.
Agent
north east
Agent is male  Agent has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 11:43 PM

EZ's right Reg.. please do not mess with this..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2015, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Speaking as a man who has worked with electricity for more than fifty years, I worry for you Reg. If you were a qualified electrician why do you feel the need to ask advice? Electricity kills!! Electricity and water kills even quicker! I fear you will keep going until something awful happens. Take my advice my friend and get a qualified person in to sort this out for you.
Hear hear. The laws in the UK (or rather lack of) that allow unqualified and untrained people to mess with electricity are so lax as to be dangerous.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 01:05 PM

This is one of the areas that you have to get a qualified person to do, or else go through building regs. If you have to replace the cable, the bulk of the cost will be in the labour. I believe that there is no longer a stated depth at which a cable should be buried, simply that it should not be able to be disturbed under normal circumstances. So, rather than digging up the old one, have it disconnected and a new one fitted.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 09:02 PM

The electrician chap who wired my shed twenty years ago has the wires encased in gun barrel metal tubing all the way down the garden, it’s not buried but attached by brackets to the long wall leading down to the shed, inside the shed he has a small electrical box where I can knock on/off the power, never had any problems with it, best to get it done by someone who knows their game I think.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2015, 10:24 PM

There we are Reg, everyone seems to be in agreement. Make this job a DIY at your own risk. I see you've not been on here since yesterday...now there's a worry!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top