Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 06:56 PM

I told you so.

I've just read this in the newspaper, but Haven't I always told you it's good for you?.

Booze boffins have confirmed that Guinness really is good for you. Ale geeks in Spain have discovered that glugging dark beers and stouts gives you four times more iron than lagers or non alcoholic brews
World renowned Irish tipple Guinness has been traditionally recommended to pregnant Women or people feeling weak and tired.
Carlos Blanco, professor of food technology at Valladolid University and co-author of the study, said the difference in levels was due to how the drinks were brewed. He added, "Our findings indicate that higher iron content in dark beer could be explained by the malt and hop extracts used to produce it".
In January of this year, Scientists at the University of Wisconsin found that a pint of the black stuff a day keeps heart attacks away".
Sure I knew that years ago, am I not a walking ad. for Guinness.
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 09:04 PM

Re: I told you so.

Jimmy, back in the 60s our grandparents used to stay with us for a holiday. Along with Grandad came a crate of bottled Guinness, now he wasn't a drinker at all and he told me that his doctor prescribed it for him for the iron. I don't know to this day whether he was pulling my leg or not? Did doctors do that then?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 10:18 PM

They did indeed Mary, my wife was anemic when she was younger and her doctor told her to drink two bottles of stout a week!. I remember in the late 50's when my Father was discharged from a TB sanitorium, he was told to drink a half pint bottle of Guinness every day to build up his strength, and he was 94 when he died.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Oh dear! I'm a lager person, never got a taste for the darker brews.....
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanks for that Jimmy, Grandad was a quiet chap, had a twinkle in his eye so I never really knew when he was kidding us or not. Well I never, it was true all along.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 04:35 PM

I was told as a lad that Guinness would put hairs on your chest so I drank it religiously for years, hating every pint. I gave it up in my twenties when, still bare chested, I found out it was a joke....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2011, 08:54 PM

When I was in the maternity home just having had my first child, they gave all us mothers a glass of Guiness with our evening meals. Good for us they said - great for the iron in it and we were encouraged to drink it even if we didn't like it. The maernity home is long gone now, but I will always remember it for the Guiness and the boiled eggs they gave us (because we needed the iron).
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 06:31 PM

Good lad you Jem, dont need an excuse now, my mother-in-law(the first)always drank Stout with Orange in it ,diabolical. After my Daughter was born I drank Guiness to get my energy back. Dont forget to watch the lads on Saturday playing France.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

16-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Good for you Annie. Yes I'll be cheering on the boys in green. Dont forget to play your bodhran loud and true.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2011, 06:50 PM

In case I'm not the only one who didn't know what a bodhran is ...... I looked it up .... it's a drum.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top