Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2011, 05:58 PM

Re: HP Sauce

If you say they changed it Meg I would take your word against theirs any day, after all someone in Worcester would know about sauce. My Wife loves the 'Chef' sauce, it looks the same as HP, its thick and brown and probably tastes the same (I dont fancy it, I prefer a more liquid soft sauce, yes Lea & Perrins). Chef sauce used to be made over here by Williams & Woods since 1921, now its made by Jacobs & Fruitfield and she says its not the same as it used to be, saucy thing!.
Some like it hot, I put mustard on my cheese.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2011, 06:50 PM

I must admit that I'm not a fan of any sauce really,particularly the highly flavoured ones, they tend to be used to mask the taste of whatever they are used on unless used very sparingly, and to adulterate the taste of bacon with HP ought to be made a criminal offence...

When I was in the forces one of the geordie lads used to coat brown sauce over virtually everything, including a full roast dinner... I often think that is where my aversion to the stuff comes from..
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-09-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I must admit that I'm not a fan of any sauce really,particularly the highly flavoured ones, they tend to be used to mask the taste of whatever they are used on unless used very sparingly, and [B]to adulterate the taste of [/B]bacon with HP ought to be made a criminal offence...

When I was in the forces one of the geordie lads used to coat brown sauce over virtually everything, including a full roast dinner... I often think that is where my aversion to the stuff comes from..
I quite agree! Bacon needs no enhancing ...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I might try that Annie or my good old local Worcester Sauce

Eileen I may well contact them but doubt it will alter things because I think the move to a different country and new ownership may have something to do with the change ..
Yes Meg darlin' - worcester sauce on cheese on toast is superb!!!
jennywren
South West, UK
jennywren is female  jennywren has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2011, 08:12 PM

Yes it is .... especially with some raw onion rings too!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by jennywren ->
Yes it is .... especially with some raw onion rings too!
Oh Jenny darlin' - now you've triggered a memory!!! - my Dad used to grow onions - huge ones that used to really make your eyes water when cutting them or make you gasp when biting into them!!! and I did (and still do) love cheese and raw onion sandwiches - the stronger the onion the better!!!
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 02:38 PM

Oh yes, raw onions I love corned beef sandwiches with finely sliced raw onions that have been steeped in vinegar

Sorry Meg for going OT
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 04:16 PM

Raw onions steeped in vinegar are what I love on a burger!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
Raw onions steeped in vinegar are what I love on a burger!
...I do that with my onions too Eileen to serve with cold meat and curry .
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

15-09-2011, 07:06 PM

A tad off topic, sorry, but is it my imagination or onions not as pungent as they used to be? Are they being bred to be milder? It used to be slicing or chopping them would bring tears to my eyes; not so much now .....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top