Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 08:08 AM

Food to warm the 'cockles'.

Now that Autumn is firmly established - (its cold, wet and misty here today) I've been thinking of lovely warming food to keep the cold out. My lunch today will be:

There is a certain member of this forum (who shall remain nameless) who is going to just hate what I'm about to say, but I have a Haggis in my 'fridge, some sweet potatoes, parsnip, celeriac, and swede. Will cook Haggis in oven. In meantime will wash, peel and chop veg and steam them. When cooked will place in a bowl with a large knob of butter and mash them thoroughly. Served on a plate with the haggis on top and a rich lamb stock gravy poured over it all!!!

Anyone else wanna join me???
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 11:43 AM

Re: Food to warm the 'cockles'.

Enjoy your Haggis Uncle Joe I will pass thank you, having fish today with some of my runner beans from the garden.

Getting ready to lift my earthenware hotpot dish from the top of the cupboard though, then autumn will defiantly be here
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 12:59 PM

I have only had haggis once and that was enough for me.

Like Meg, it is fish, a nice piece of hake with fresh peas and new potatoes for lunch.
The large pan is out tomorrow as a Lancashire Hotpot is on the menu. That will warm anyone's cockles.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 01:47 PM

I'll pass on the Haggis too, thank you Uncle Joe ..... all the more for you!

It's time for the casseroles, I really enjoy the first one of the autumn season.

Let us know how your haggis meal was...
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 02:03 PM

Yeah Mags darlin' I love casseroles too. Gotta go away again next week for a few days will be back in early October. On my return, I have a couple of Kangaroo steaks in my freezer - just perfect for casserole!!! - marinaded in Port overnight, strained from marinade, chopped into bite sized chunks, tossed in flour and flash fried with an onion and some garlic for a few minutes to seal the moisture in. Then placed in my slow cooker for 4 - 5 hours.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Yeah Mags darlin' I love casseroles too. Gotta go away again next week for a few days will be back in early October. On my return, I have a couple of Kangaroo steaks in my freezer - just perfect for casserole!!! - marinaded in Port overnight, strained from marinade, chopped into bite sized chunks, tossed in flour and flash fried with an onion and some garlic for a few minutes to seal the moisture in. Then placed in my slow cooker for 4 - 5 hours.
You haven't by chance got Scottish/Australian roots, have you Uncle Joe?

Enjoy your days away, we'll miss you and your wit here.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

21-09-2011, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
You haven't by chance got Scottish/Australian roots, have you Uncle Joe?

Enjoy your days away, we'll miss you and your wit here.
Och aye the noo, cobber !!! Won't be far away Mags darlin' - just across the Watter in Ireland. Not solely a pleasure trip - have some work to do too.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Sounds lovely Joe I adore haggis. Must be McSweens though.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 03:59 PM

I would rather have a root canal than eat haggis!!!!!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I would rather have a root canal than eat haggis!!!!!
Have you ever tried it though dandysmom. Can you get it in the US. Just curious.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top