Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 02:15 PM

Cheap Microsoft office?

Have just been on Amazon to replace my ageing Microsoft office programme and was amazed to find loads on offer at under twenty pounds. My first thoughts were these have got to be dodgy but hundreds if not thousands have been sold and the reviews are positive with Microsoft validating the installations. It made me curious enough to investigate further and the story seems to be that these are used company serial numbers that are being resold and perfectly legal. It seems there has been a huge court case about their reuse with Microsoft saying no they can't be reused but the European court of justice has ruled that they can and it is legal. Seeing as Microsoft are validating these codes it seems they have had to bow to the European count. I am wondering if any of you folk have seen these for sale so cheaply and what your thoughts are.
Brian.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 02:50 PM

Re: Cheap Microsoft office?

It seems genuine if this Amazon review is anything to go by.

"Like many others I was sceptical but these appear to be legitimate resales of previously used licenses and under the 2012 Case C‑128/11 of the ECJ, and restated in 2016, vendors do not appear to be able to prevent such resales within the EU. If worried please look it up and judge for yourself. Personally I looked at the court judgement itself rather than trust other websites. The process here is easy enough - you get sent a key, you plug this into a MS website. The website decides what software you have bought and it downloads. First time you use one of the applications the whole lot activates. Away you go. Brilliant software"

I'm tempted I must say.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 02:54 PM

Blimey .....

I've just visited Amazon and found MS Office Professional Plus 2016 on sale @ £11.98 .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 03:00 PM

There's a few negative reviews about some of the licence keys not being accepted or failing after a few weeks but plenty of positive reviews.

I've got an old copy of MS Office (2007) and am sorely tempted to upgrade. Will do a disk image first though in case it cocks my system up.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
There's a few negative reviews about some of the licence keys not being accepted or failing after a few weeks but plenty of positive reviews.

I've got an old copy of MS Office (2007) and am sorely tempted to upgrade. Will do a disk image first though in case it cocks my system up.
OK, you first .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 03:34 PM

I know there are always 'one star' reviews for anything on Amazon but worth reading what they are for the cheap version Microsoft Office 2016 Professional Plus before buying. Not a lot of money to lose if things don't work out I suppose.
Brian 8451
United Kingdom
Brian 8451 is male  Brian 8451 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 03:45 PM

For anyone that is interested I have purchased the MS Office Professional Plus 2016 version for £16.99 from UK seller on Amazon and am now awaiting product key to be emailed to me, I will let you know how the installation goes when I receive it.
Brian.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 03:55 PM

I got three of these, 2016 Office packages,. a few months ago.

They have all been activated by MS and are working fine.

There could be a risk that dodgy copies are being put into the mix but I would expect the Activation to address this.

I even asked a question on a Microsoft support page, at the time, and was given a very neutral - but not negative reply.

Perhaps the fact that the latest package (365) is basically being handled as an annual leased package,gives the issue a new angle.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-09-2017, 04:01 PM

OK Brian - Thanks for the information. I did read of some saying that the software worked initially but didn't work after a while. It would be interesting to learn how things are in a couple of months.

Too late for me. I bought the Home and Student version of MS Office 2016 a while ago from Amazon for around £90 (gone up considerably now). Download and activation was via Amazon. If necessary, reinstallation is done via there as well.

Libre Office is a good but not so 'polished' (in my opinion) alternative to Microsoft Office but I expect you looked into using this?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

02-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Brian 8451 ->
For anyone that is interested I have purchased the MS Office Professional Plus 2016 version for £16.99 from UK seller on Amazon and am now awaiting product key to be emailed to me, I will let you know how the installation goes when I receive it.
Brian.
Many thanks .....

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top