Join for free
Page 4 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-10-2018, 03:05 AM

Re: What’s New in Windows 10’s October 2018 Update

I don't mind notepad as it is but I use Notepad++ for various reasons however as an upgrade to Windows 10 improving Notepad would be very low down on my list of priorities.

I thought the May update was pulled because it deleted files you would have thought they would have solved this by now.

Fortunately it is not a compulsory upgrade yet.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
Microsoft pulls Windows 10 October Update (version 1809)

https://www.zdnet.com/article/micros...-version-1809/

AFAIK, if OneDrive is in use then the files in Documents are secure (they are in my case) but if not then they are gone forever, so ensure that OneDrive is in use.

NOTE: If "Metered Connection" has been set ON to avoid Windows Updates then OneDrive is disconnected (or it was when I tried it) so the Documents folder (or all user files, to be safe) MUST be backed up manually.
I'm wondering why an update would go anywhere near Customer Data files.

Those are files which they shouldn't need to touch.

Unless they are short of room, on the drives, and need to park the data somewhere whilst they do the update.

Not many rumours coming out there, yet, but the early warnings that some people don't have enough room, to do these big updates, might be a clue.

Anyway, All my machines went up OK. (smug Smile!). They are W10 64 Bit. I don't use OneDrive, for back ups, so I rule that out (I don't like not knowing where in the world my stuff is being stored).
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I'm wondering why an update would go anywhere near Customer Data files.

Those are files which they shouldn't need to touch.

Unless they are short of room, on the drives, and need to park the data somewhere whilst they do the update.

Not many rumours coming out there, yet, but the early warnings that some people don't have enough room, to do these big updates, might be a clue.

Anyway, All my machines went up OK. (smug Smile!). They are W10 64 Bit. I don't use OneDrive, for back ups, so I rule that out (I don't like not knowing where in the world my stuff is being stored).
Quite right.

All of my files - absolutely everything - are on two external hard drives, each a duplicate of the other. If the worst comes to the worst and either a virus, other malware, or Microsoft(!) should destroy what is on my computer, everything is still in my possession and not accessible by viruses, other malware or Microsoft!

If I find any threats exhibited by my computer going tits-up, I would certainly not reconnect my hard drives to it to avoid having the stuff spread.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 02:49 PM

For quite a long time I've run my W10 systems with two Account Login options, on the start up menu.

I did this because of an early problem with signing into a corrupted account.The second login gave me the opportunity of signing in with that and using that spare account to try to fix the corruption, get backups restored, etc.

So, from that time, I've had two accounts of my PCs - but not any longer!

Don't know when it changed but the second account is totally GONE.

Luckily I only use it for problem analysis, but, if this has happened to someone who has multiple sign-ins for friends and family, a lost sign in would mean no apps, maybe no data links in the extra sign in accounts.

Perhaps this is the problem.

Anyway I'm putting my extra account back!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 02:56 PM

For quite a long time I've run my W10 systems with two Account Login options, on the start up menu.

I did this because of an early problem with signing into a corrupted account.The second login gave me the opportunity of signing in with that and using that spare account to try to fix the corruption, get backups restored, etc.

Luckily I only use it for problem analysis, but, if this has happened to someone who has multiple sign-ins for friends and family, a lost sign in would mean no apps, maybe no data links in the extra sign in accounts.

An excellent reason why I do all I can to avoid Windows Updates.

Many people and organisations are, apparently, still using Windows XP which, I believe, is no longer supported yet still seems to work well.

Which begs the question, what on earth is the advantage of having all these so-called updates?
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 02:58 PM

I've not heard of an account problem after the latest upgrade, but it has occurred previously, so maybe you could try a search for any hints or tips .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-10-2018, 11:05 PM

More information:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...dows-insiders/
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
More information:

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexp...dows-insiders/
I've never heard of "Known Folder Redirection" but I'm guessing that it's something to do with:

Migrate Your Files to OneDrive Easily with Known Folder Move

06-27-2018

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/...ve/ba-p/207076

We’ve heard requests from several customers asking to make it easier to move their user data into OneDrive. To have a single button that they could push that would move content from the Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders to OneDrive.

Today, we are making this a reality with the announcement of Known Folder Move (KFM) for OneDrive that will start rolling out to Targeted Release customers this week.

Known folders are global pointers in Windows representing a location on the user’s drive. They help users to organize their most important files and access them across different applications. KFM helps you move your docs, desktop, and pictures into OneDrive. Even the Screenshots and Camera Roll folders are included when the Picture folder has opted into KFM.
It seems to be a business IT admin facility to enable (force) users to back up their data .....
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-10-2018, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
It seems to be a business IT admin facility to enable (force) users to back up their data .....
Or maybe to provide more documents folder storage space for those who have small SSD C: drives in their computers and ultimately, to sell more space when OneDrive's free space is used up.

That wouldn't be for me but I read people do use OneDrive for storage.

Edit:
..and for syncing files across all devices that have OneDrive installed and running.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

10-10-2018, 02:41 PM

Just released:

October 9, 2018—KB4464330 (OS Build 17763.55)

Includes:

Addresses an issue where an incorrect timing calculation may prematurely delete user profiles on devices subject to the "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of day” group policy.
Could this issue have caused your problem ..... ?

Page 4 of 18 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top