Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:05 AM

Re: Gin Rules

I have a pal who makes the best sloe gin otherwise known as rocket fuel

I remember once in France in Calvados country it seemed everyone had a still in their kitchen....I asked is it legal?..oh no i was told but we French take no notice

Go go it Dexy....and hello by the way
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I assume that gin distilling requires a distilling device that will be under very significant pressure to the point that it could easily explode if it's not built right or not handles right. Guessing gov't don't want to encourage numpties messing with such stuff.

Gin is so cheap though so why bother. Start with crap gin and add things like sloe berries to make sloe gin and so on. Endless varieties.
Not much pressure involved and no chance of it exploding.

As for the cost, one can distill gin with the total cost being under £2.50 per litre, flavouring it during the process to one's liking.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by summer ->
Go go it Dexy....and hello by the way
Hi Summer
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Not much pressure involved and no chance of it exploding.

As for the cost, one can distill gin with the total cost being under £2.50 per litre, flavouring it during the process to one's liking.
And the cost of raw ingredients, empty bottles plus corks or screw tops?
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

10-09-2018, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
And the cost of raw ingredients, empty bottles plus corks or screw tops?
The £2.50 includes the cost of all raw ingredients, including the sugar and yeast to make the wash, the carbon and finings to clear it, the botanicals, the energy used to distil it from 14% to 60% (subsequently watered down to 40%), the carbon filters etc.

As for bottles, luckily we've been keeping the empties (screw tops) for a few weeks, so there's no cost there.

The initial setup is about £200, which yields about 8 litres of spirits (a basic vodka). This can be flavoured and turned to many types of drinks including gin, whisky, rum, licquers etc.

So, within a few short weeks, it really has paid for itself.

From start to finish, the whole process takes about 10 days.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

10-09-2018, 03:57 PM

I hope this isn't deemed as advertising - I have no connections nor financial interests in the company:

https://www.lovebrewing.co.uk/
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-09-2018, 05:00 AM

It's legal here since 1995, to have your own still as long as it is not sold. I sold my still last year as I no longer drink much in the way of spirits but ethyl alcohol is a great carrier for aromas and flavourings. My still used to produce alcohol at about 80% which was diluted with water to 40% for most uses. Quite economical to produce too.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top