Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 02:13 PM

Re: Is this fact or scam? (Microsoft update)

One way to stop updates being downloaded is to set your internet connection as ‘metered’.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...dates-3626701/

If you want to prevent Windows 10 from downloading and installing updates automatically, we’ll show you how to do it.

A lot of software these days is updated automatically, including web browsers and the operating system on Google Chromebooks. They’re more services than software, and although Windows has always had fairly regular updates, Windows 10 has been unpopular with users because Microsoft really forced those updates out and restarted PCs even if you were in the middle of something.

Things are better now thanks to a feature called Active hours that lets you set a period of time each when Windows won’t restart. We’ll also explain how to use this.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
One way to stop updates being downloaded is to set your internet connection as ‘metered’.

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to...dates-3626701/
Thanks Omah. I've heard of that but I don't think I have ever tried it.

I have now!

I got the message: "This PC is on a metered network. One Drive sync has been paused to prevent data charges."
which is certainly something I can live with.

Actually, I do use One Drive to back up files. Hopefully, doing this manually will not turn off the 'metered' setting.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I still don't get why it is necessary to update things so often. Even iplayer has just updated again and don't get me started on Apple music.
Updates are the reason I stopped using Ipads and Iphones it was never ending and caused me so much hassle. I moved over to Android and the Huawei Range, had no problems since..
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks Omah. I've heard of that but I don't think I have ever tried it.

I have now!

I got the message: "This PC is on a metered network. One Drive sync has been paused to prevent data charges."
which is certainly something I can live with.

Actually, I do use One Drive to back up files. Hopefully, doing this manually will not turn off the 'metered' setting.
Good point .....

Let us know .....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 03:18 PM

Good point .....

Let us know .....
Actually, I have just backed up some files to One Drive so I checked. Yes, it still says that I am on a metered connection.

I hope this works!
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 03:43 PM

Well i'm going to try and turn mine off because is buggers up my computer everytime.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
To be honest, I am becoming heartily sick and tired of Microsoft's dictatorial attitude.

They know that they have a captive audience and are taking full advantage of it. I shall wait and see what happens with this enormous and unnecessary 'update', but may decide to do something about Windows 10. The last big 'update' messed up my desktop and some settings, which I find unacceptable.

I have two questions, if anyone can advise.

1. Is it possible to run all Windows software (such as Adobe Photoshop and TurboCAD) on an Apple installation?

2. If I can obtain a Windows 7 installation disc, will I be (once again) be forced to 'upgrade' to Windows 10. If not, and assuming that W7 is 'no longer supported', could I expect NOT to receive constant Windows Update messages? I'd even be prepared to ditch Windows 10 completely if I could not dual boot between W7 and W10.
I still have Windows 7 Home edition and I have not been forced to use Win10. I still get the updates but just refuse them all. I did it for years until the idiot in the computer repair shop downloaded about 60 updates which meant I could no longer run my old Photoshop.

As for dual booting, I think you would need to create a partition but I have forgotten how to do that, in fact, I'm not even sure it is possible any more.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Thanks Omah I have just done the above .
I hope it doesn't affect anything else .

Not being technologically minded I find if I alter something it usually has unforeseen consequences but I can't reverse the action because I have forgotten how I did it
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by roxy ->
updates are the reason i stopped using ipads and iphones it was never ending and caused me so much hassle. I moved over to android and the huawei range, had no problems since..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-09-2018, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Well i'm going to try and turn mine off because is buggers up my computer everytime.
I have switched it off on mine!

Go to 'Control Panel'
click on Admin Tools
Scroll down to 'Services' and double click
Scroll down to 'Windows Update' - right click
choose 'Properties' from drop down menu
go to 'Start up type' click
Choose 'Disabled' from drop down menu.

All done!

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top