Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 01:34 AM

Paying out for voluntary National Insurance contributions

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/02...s_Money_110219

Anyone who reaches state pension age after 5 April 2016 and has a gap in their NI payments between the 2006-07 to 2015-16 tax years has until April 2023 to ‘plug’ the holes by making voluntary contributions. So, is it worth it?
Although the article doesn't apply to me, I was reading it out of interest and decided to link it here in case someone might find it useful.

I discovered that:

Those who reached state pension age before 6 April 2016 needed to have 30 years’ worth of National Insurance contributions to get the full state pension.

Under the new rules, those who reach state pension age after 6 April 2016 must have paid National Insurance for 35 years to qualify for the full state pension – and at least 10 years of contributions to receive anything at all.
So 5 years have been added for full qualification .....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 09:20 AM

Re: Paying out for voluntary National Insurance contributions

I bet lots of us 50's women have missed out again. They've put the number of years contributions since I last asked for a forecast. I'd better check again, thanks Omah.
I'm due mine in November, unless they change age again!
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 10:02 AM

I know I will have problems come retirement as my national insurance was blah blah blah for years then about 15 years ago I noticed it had changed so I queried it and all kinds of arguments later I was told they were right and to continue with my new insurance number ( now 58) I just know when I eventually retire I will have a devil of a job getting them to take national insurance payments to original number into account
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 10:14 AM

I know that I'm 3 years short on NI contributions. It means (at the moment) I'll be a tenner a week short. I'm lucky that I have other pensions so I won't be making up the shortfall.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2019, 10:24 AM

I also know that I will have a problem if I reach pension age. I know for a fact that my contributions are not up to date and that one company I worked for, stitched me up by not paying my NI. I'm hoping that there will be some sort of alternative around that I will be able to claim. I doubt it though, all my previous contributions will be floating around in India somewhere.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top