Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 03:52 PM

Re: Phone line and broadband

You can get your landline and broadband from any supplier so shop around and look at the various deals. It's usually cheaper to get a package with both combined.

Regardless of who you choose there are a couple of things to bear in mind:

1. If you do away with your landline phone completely and thus do all your calls and broadband using mobile phone technology, then in the event of any apocalyptic or national disaster you may be vulnerable as mobile networks are likely to fail.

2. If you retain your landline and select a different provider the rality is that your service will still be based on BT infrastructure as they pretty much host the majority of all telephony regardless of who the end company is selling the service. So the quality of service is unlikley to be any different to now. Broadband speeds and performance are largely limited by the local BT switching station related to where you live. As others have said, if you have the option of cable (like Virgin) then you can get better performance.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Regardless of who you choose there are a couple of things to bear in mind:

1. If you do away with your landline phone completely and thus do all your calls and broadband using mobile phone technology, then in the event of any apocalyptic or national disaster you may be vulnerable as mobile networks are likely to fail.
More of your ill informed scaremongering? Your landline is equally likely to fail being computer based and the demands placed on the service (this was true during emergencies in the Strowager era too - no system can cope).

Indeed the mobile network is easier to fix or expand - During the Lockerbie disaster my brother was showing me the mobile equipment they had working to provide extra capacity around the disaster site. It can run off the back of a truck and was in place within an hour of the crash. If you think of the advances in electronics since then how much easier would it be now?
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 10:57 PM

If there's a power cut my landline doesn't work, my phone is cordless so won't connect to the hub.
I'm with Talktalk, much cheaper than BT but still landline charges.
Wasn't there some talk about stopping landline charges some while ago?
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2018, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Wasn't there some talk about stopping landline charges some while ago?
With the arrive of the NBN landline charges ceased here; my fibre connection is free, I only pay for the services I use, which in my case is broadband.

As I said I do have a VOIP line but all my national and international phone calls are made using my mobile because I pay a small monthly fee for unlimited calls, texts and MMS.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top