Join for free
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 06:49 AM

Dog Bloat

I had never heard of this

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2012.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	7609  
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 07:16 AM

Re: Dog Bloat

I've never seen that before either, but on reading it, its common sense and is really the same as Humans when we get a bloated stomach, well not so much of the excitement.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 07:37 AM

To me it sounds more like colic in horses which is a serious and can be fatal due to a twisted gut .
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 08:11 AM

I am very aware of it as it affects deep chested dogs more than smaller dogs and having a Lab it's a real concern, particularly because Bailie bolts her food.

I tried a slow feeder bowl but that caused more problems than it solved so now I split her main meals into 3 so she doesn't get the chance to bolt the food as much. I leave gaps between each part to give the food a chance to go down properly.

Another thing that doesn't help are those raised dog bowls. While they may look like they are more comfortable for a dog to eat from they make the food go down too fast.

I know someone who lost a Rottie to it, and my sister in law who breeds Goldies has also lost one.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 08:13 AM

I have heard of it happening to horses and cows - but it never occurred to me it could happen to dogs as well.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 08:28 AM

yes I was well aware of gastric torsion "bloat" in dogs, not unheard of and can be fatal in dogs.
That is one of the things kennel owners have to be aware of and prevent in larger dogs mainly. We didn't have it happen in our kennels but heard of it happening with clients dogs at home.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 09:00 AM

Gastric torsion (GDV) is a horrible thing, it can come on really rapidly and requires immediate veterinary attention.

My friend lost her Lab with GDV and although it is generally a condition which affects mainly large dogs my cousin's rescue Staffy Ruby had it but my cousin being a farmers daughter quickly spotted it and Ruby was saved.

I had concerns about Chloe because she bolts her food so she is fed on a large plate with the food spread out. She has 4 small meals a day anyway because she has BDS and vomits if her tummy is empty for too long.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 10:05 AM

Like others have said, it is a frightening thing to happen and you have to act quickly.

One of my old GSD girls, Tammy, got it.
I remember her keep vomitting and standing rigid and arched backed. She didn't look at all well in the face either, and when I felt her tummy I could feel it was very taut and hard as rock.

Luckily I knew a bit about gastric torsion, and got her in the car and off to he vet immediately. They saved her life.

Never, ever wait, day or night, to get veterinary help, or you will lose your dog.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 10:13 AM

My sisters Labrador died of this back in the 80s, it's meant all our dogs have had raised feeders and I've they eat too fast I hold the bowl and hand feed more slowly. It's probably me being too cautious but buttons was a lovely dog only fault he had was gobbling his food too quickly

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top