Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:31 PM

Floydy's Top 200 Music Artists

I'm going for it, my latest behemoth of a music list.
After considerable thought of whether or not to go down that rocky road again, I have decided to present my favourite music artists to the forum.

As some of you saw with my previous thread (discounting the '1000 Perfect Songs' thread, which I abandoned due to lack of cohesion and interest on my part in the end), 1000 Favourite Albums, I will be beginning at No.200 and working my way up to the No.1 album.

The main problem with the top 1000 thread was that it took up so much time as I wanted to make it as interesting as possible by submitting many video links, album sleeves and lots of other info which took up far too much of my time resulting in me becoming bogged down with it and seriously concerned for my mental health!

This time I have prepared my list in advance. The list is ready on my own template and all I have to do is add some brief biographies as and when I post each entry. I will supplement each act's position with a video or two, but largely I will encourage you all to add your own posts to coincide with each one. Please comment as you wish, add your own vids and you're quite welcome to ask any questions.

There is no time limit for this list to be finalised on the forum. Some days I will post a few in succession, other days I may not have the time to post anything. It won't matter - you folks can fill in the gaps until the next one arrives.

Again though, this list is not the absolute gospel of "what should be and what is", these artists are assembled as much as possible in my own order of what are my personal favourites. This is my opinion only and whoever you think should be higher or lower is your own choice. Please discuss your views anytime. And you are fine to ask on the whereabouts of certain acts you may feel should be in my list. There is no great secrecy this time, although I can't actually let you know who is placed exactly where. The only thing which is probably not a surprise is my all-time favourite band...that is obvious isn't it?

This top 200 took me a couple of weeks to sort out as near as dammit to the order I like each act, but some are grouped together pretty roughly. And please don't dismiss, say, the No.200 act as being rubbish - my list was whittled down from an original list of over 2000 artists, so the No.200 placing is actually pretty high.

One more point: Some artists are grouped together. For instance Roxy Music and Bryan Ferry are the same post, as are The Beatles, Eagles and many other acts - their individual members releasing solo music are not listed separate entries. This will become apparent as the time comes when these acts are seen in the list.

So enough waffle, let's begin with No.200 in the next post. Enjoy
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 03:38 PM

Re: Floydy's Top 200 Music Artists

No.200: Dexys Midnight Runners

Kevin Rowland and his bunch of "dockers with holdalls" appeared on the music scene in late 1979 and soon became an original soul-mod type band who fitted in very well with the mod/ska revival at the time. Their tribute to soul man Geno Washington propelled the band to No.1 in the UK and they had a reassurgence a couple of years later with a further chart-topper in the shape of 'Come On Eileen' (which incidentally I cannot stand!).
Keyboard player Mick Talbot later joined Paul Weller in The Style Council. Rowland reformed Dexys (no apostrophe) a couple of years ago.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-10-2018, 03:53 PM

No.199: Tom Waits

Scruffy, dishevelled, downbeat. Californian singer-songwriter has been making albums and performing over 45 years now. His voice isn't to everyone's taste but his tales about characters of desperation and depravity are legendary in his field or songwriting.

Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-10-2018, 08:12 PM

No.198: Manfred Mann / Manfred Mann's Earth Band

South African keyboardist Mann formed his band Manfred Mann following the early 60’s Beatles boom, recruiting singer Paul Jones and the five-piece group scored almost twenty hit singles. These included the huge Do Wah Diddy plus 5-4-3-2-1, My name Is jack and numerous other catchy chart hits.
Following a short unsuccessful revamp whereby Mann went into progressive rock territory with the band Chapter III, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band were born and had many albums, still recording and touring to this day. Under this monker, they had such classics as Davy’s On The Road Again, Joybringer and a U.S. No.1 hit with a cover of Bruce Springsteen’s Blinded By The Light.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 10:18 PM

I have long been a fan of Manfred Mann. 'Do Wah diddy' was probably the earliest song I can remember being played on the radio and was a favourite of mine. I was only one when it was released but can remember it from the age of about four. Also love 'Davy' and 'Blinded by the light. Good choice Floydy and looking forward to the rest of this thread.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

16-10-2018, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have long been a fan of Manfred Mann. 'Do Wah diddy' was probably the earliest song I can remember being played on the radio and was a favourite of mine. I was only one when it was released but can remember it from the age of about four. Also love 'Davy' and 'Blinded by the light. Good choice Floydy and looking forward to the rest of this thread.
Hi mate, great to have you onboard for the ride!
Good band yes, I love "Davy" especially and the previous band's Dylan covers. I saw Mann as a kind of British version of The Byrds.

Hopefully, like my other thread, you will find some interesting bands to indulge in. Maybe some surprises along the way too
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-10-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Hi mate, great to have you onboard for the ride!
Good band yes, I love "Davy" especially and the previous band's Dylan covers. I saw Mann as a kind of British version of The Byrds.

Hopefully, like my other thread, you will find some interesting bands to indulge in. Maybe some surprises along the way too
I'm sure I will and I'm sure there will be.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

17-10-2018, 02:22 AM

Deleted post.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Deleted post.
Never heard of that artist (Deleted) what sounds have they done then..

Anything Tom Waits does is good.
Always reminds me of my early days in dive bars and smokey rooms in the West End with some one singing in the corner .
You hardly ever see the guy but the grating voice is kinda special and it goes perfectly with the scotch your drinking.
longfellow
Chatterbox
Penthouse in Essex overlooking the Thames.
longfellow is male  longfellow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2018, 06:53 AM

Has for Manfred Man well to be honest I was more of a Paul Jones fan I thought he had a great voice.

Infact I read somewhere a while back whether its true or not that Paul Jones was the first choice of Brian Jones when he was getting the Rolling Stones together Jagger was just an alternative.
Now that is worth thinking about imagine The Stones with a charming sophisticated, well spoken singer instead of The Jagger drawl..

Yes in the words of the great Jagger himself "You Can't Always Get What You Want."

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top