Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Adriana Lindsey
New Member!
USA
Adriana Lindsey is female 

26-09-2014, 08:55 AM

Favorite Books

Well I just finished "True Grit" by Bear Grylls and I must say that this is one of my favorite books. Sometimes in life we get hit by things difficult to understand, and it is only by having courage and that resilience that we get through. The people in this book experienced horrors far worse then many of us will ever see, but their never say die attitude is something we can all learn from. To keep going, to keep hopeful, to never quit these are lessons in life that all of us need to hear. For the budding adventurer to the entrepreneur by staring insurmountable odds in the face and walking away it will always leave us better humans. Each story is easy enough to read in a quick time and although some may leave a bad taste in your mouth (eating human flesh! drinking Camel urine!) the way these people kept going is inspiring. Here is to the spirit of living life in your own way! Also please suggest me some good books to read and Tell me your favorite books.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 09:10 AM

Re: Favorite Books

I haven't had time for book reading for many years and largely the books which had the most profound effect on me are those which I read as a child Black Beauty, The Water Babies and the classic novels of Thomas Hardy, Jane Austen, George Eliot and Brontes 'Jane Eyre' will remain with me always.

That said a few years ago I read 'The Flowers of the Field' by Sarah Harrison a trilogy of books covering the experiences of 3 women during WW1.

Also the books of Helen Forrester depicting her childhood in Liverpool come to mind.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-09-2014, 12:16 PM

I read so much it would be difficult to say what my favourite book would be. Since I got my Kindle, it's even worse as it is so easy to carry 40 or 50 books around with you. I tend to read a minimum of 3 or 4 novels a week - if I am not doing something else, I'll be reading. If I had to choose it would probably be something like Mervyn Peake's Ghormenghast Trilogy, which I tend to return to and reread every two or three years. Other than that, almost anything by Stephen King (a hugely underrated writer - by the critics, not the reading public) or Dan Simmons or....... or.....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-09-2014, 10:56 PM

I am a big Sci-Fi/Fantasy fan. Love Terry Pratchett & the late Anne McCaffrey books
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-10-2014, 11:16 PM

One of my favourite books is 'Stranger in the Mirror' by Sidney Sheldon. I also enjoy the writing of Danielle Steele and Jackie Collins. (You'll gather I don't read 'heavy' stuff) lol
Recently I've discovered Anna Jacobs and really enjoy her stories. Josephine Cox and Margaret Dickinson are two more authors who are always a good read. I see one of their books and I know it will be good.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 06:41 AM

James Clavell,from Shogun to Whirlwind.

Ex wife was a big Catherine Cookson reader.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 07:20 AM

I couldn't possibly choose just one book, I've read hundreds over the years but a book that moved me profoundly is Skallagrigg by William Horwood. If anyone knows someone with cerebral palsy it's a must-read. It's hauntingly sad, spiritual and a wonderful read.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2014, 08:47 AM

Hard to say,Black Beauty yes,Stephen King yes,Ghormengast yes(I cannot watch a `celeb` chef without thinking about swelter) Another one is this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_and_Margarita
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2014, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Older git ->
Hard to say,Black Beauty yes,Stephen King yes,Ghormengast yes(I cannot watch a `celeb` chef without thinking about swelter) Another one is this;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Master_and_Margarita
Just rereading Master and Margarita - love all his books, and Russian literature in general. Tried to learn the language once but only got as far as hello, goodbye and thank you!
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2014, 11:18 PM

What a difficult question, your favourite book. One I can always go back to is "Katherine" by Anya Seton, started me off on historical fiction. Also love Philippa Gregory - though I think her best book is "The Little House". I'm fascinated by diaries, goodness knows why, and can dip into "Parson Woodford's Diary" any time. I've also just treated myself to the Richard Burton Diaries, having heard a lecture by its editor, Chris Williams. As the thing is 654 pages and about the size of a doorstop, I won't be taking that on holiday - or reading it in bed....................

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top