Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:38 PM

Re: Specsavers

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Oh Yeah?!

Yes I would Alan!

What are they then - £250+ "Designer" Glasses or are you into Cartier?

Sorry mate but it's sounds like snobbery plus vanity to me. stevmk2
You are entitled to your opinion Steve. I just wonder if the think the same of all other people who have quality goods or is it just me ?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
You are entitled to your opinion Steve. I just wonder if the think the same of all other people who have quality goods or is it just me ?
My Varifocals from Specsavers were over£300 ,i wear my glasses all the time .I like to see where I'm going .

Ps Steve , Varifocals are expensive,,nothing to do with
Snobbery ..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:50 PM

My husband has varifocals they cost a little over £200 but he has normal metal frames nothing very fancy, he has the lenses with a non scratch coating and a non glare coating too for that price.

I don' think varifocals have to cost a fortune so it's worth asking if you need them, I hate to think anyone will be put off with Alan's cost and be afraid to enquire.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Well my last ones were from Home Bargains and cost me £1.45
I don't care
Mind you Steve I think you are being a bit harsh to Alan.
I know you have had some problems but Alan is just saying what
he buys and he is entitled to that without you jumping down his
throat and telling him what you think of him and the snobbery.
No need Steve.
People pay that kind of money for a night out so don't they
deserve it and if you have some money why not spend it?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 04:56 PM

My reading glasses are well under a fiver too but it is a worry to me people may be put off asking about varifocals if they may be better for them.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 05:09 PM

The last pair of glasses I had cost me something like £460, but they are the Rolls Royce of glasses. Normally I like to make my money spin out but I don't skimp on anything to do with my health.
Absolutely Alan I used to go to an optician from a nation chain (Boots) and not wishing to go all the way into town I recently went to a local independent opician . I took my old specs with me (2 pairs ) and told him I was forever losing the lenses which kept popping out of the frames .
He was shocked when he saw the quality of my previous specs which were not cheap and explained that the lenses should never 'fall out' because of little notches. He told me a lot of the chains are more interested in offers than quality.

My new specs are much better quality and cost £200 including the lense.
I am so glad I went to him because I had to have my eyes tested again the following week after he discovered a problem and I now have to have my eyes monitored and tested once a year.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 05:32 PM

No Alan.
I apologise for seeming to be rude but to me it seems rather excessive to pay that much for glasses and I do wonder if you have actually looked around or are the type of person that sincerely believes they are getting the best when - perhaps - they are getting what someone tells them is the best.

It's not just my opinion Alan.

I do feel that sometimes people do not realise that high prices do not necessarily equate to high quality - OK? stevmk2
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 05:38 PM

You were rude Steve but you've apologised so all is forgiven. I have poor eyesight so I don't care what it costs to look after them . My optician is a family run business and I have been with them over 40 years and have total confidence in them. They are not pushy, it's me that asks for the best for reasons I've already explained.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 05:47 PM

The vari-focal Glasses I bought recently cost £365,yes the frames are designer (Janet Reger) but just cost £70..I'm very short-sighted and I also need a prism in the right lense,plus anti-glare, they need to be grind down to the slimmest They can get them otherwise they'd look like milk bottle bottoms...it all adds to the cost..so You see it's not vanity,just a very strong prescription.and I didn't go to specsavers,They always seem to be in too much of a rush.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-05-2015, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by stevmk2 ->
Oh Yeah?!

Yes I would Alan!

What are they then - £250+ "Designer" Glasses or are you into Cartier?

Sorry mate but it's sounds like snobbery plus vanity to me. stevmk2
It isn't anything to do with snobbery Steve I have paid over £400 for my glasses simply because I am short sighted in one eye and long sighted in the other so I need full width varifocal lens which work out more expensive than the frames cost.

I go to Boots now, they took over my usual opticians, D & A.
I'm due for my two year check next month and I know I will definitely need stronger lens this time. To help with the cost I always ask optician if he will put my new prescription lens in my current glasses..... I can usually save £150-£200 that way.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top