Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 11:27 PM

Water Meter Savings?

Decided to install a water meter at the beginning of this year. Nearly didn't bother as I was told it might be harder to sell the house (if I sell at some point) because a large family could push the bill up. I was paying £46 per month by direct debit which was a hell of a lot considering it is just me living here (or was). Anyhow I've received my latest bill that reflects the change and my direct debit payments from Sept 2015 to Aug 2016 have been reduced to £1.50 ; reason being I'm over £200 in credit!

I've been away from home for around 5-6 weeks of this year but when at home I like to bathe regularly or take a shower every day owing to the sport I carry out - running.

Saving a fortune!
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 11:38 PM

Re: Water Meter Savings?

Having a water meter is a no-brainer imo unless you have a massive family who use tons of water.

Direct Debit though? No thanks. I don't give bank loans out to other people and not charge any interest. Try asking your bank for such a loan !
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 12:11 AM

I've had a water meter for years(when they started) I am still paying less a year than I did paying water rates, I shower at least once a day.
Latest bills £136.58 pa, Last water rates £288pa
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 07:55 AM

I was paying £40 a month , then 7 yrs ago had one installed and I pay £15 a month now .
Hanfonius
North Wales
Hanfonius is male  Hanfonius has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 09:10 AM

I have never really understood why the Water Board offers to supply a meter without charge. Unless there is a large family, or somebody who uses a lot of water on his lawn, the consumer is going to be quids in with a meter. A plumber friend of mine recommended I get one, and I have saved hundreds over the years.

Mind you, I did hear that the Water Boards have a long-term objective of making meters compulsory - then putting the prices up....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 10:32 AM

I might well activate my TV license with the savings . Not sure that is a good thing though?
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 10:41 AM

In my old house there was no water meter, so when we moved here and there was a meter, must admit we panicked to start with.

But even with cleaning the car and watering the garden our water bill was half what it used to be.

Now I am by myself, the water company told me about something called Solo which is for people by themselves, so now my water bill is even lower.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 11:30 AM

I am scared to have a meter after the last experience I had with one.

I the 70's we moved into a property in Dorset with a meter and unbeknown to us there was a water leak between our property and the meter which was situated a short distance from the property. When the bill arrived it was huge and we had to pay it.

I guess meters are more up to date now and in a position where they can be seen and monitored.

The other thing which deters me from getting a meter is if I sell this house which I intend to do in the near future will it make my house less attractive to a family.
Marj
England
Marj is female  Marj has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Decided to install a water meter at the beginning of this year. Nearly didn't bother as I was told it might be harder to sell the house (if I sell at some point) because a large family could push the bill up. I was paying £46 per month by direct debit which was a hell of a lot considering it is just me living here (or was). Anyhow I've received my latest bill that reflects the change and my direct debit payments from Sept 2015 to Aug 2016 have been reduced to £1.50 ; reason being I'm over £200 in credit!

I've been away from home for around 5-6 weeks of this year but when at home I like to bathe regularly or take a shower every day owing to the sport I carry out - running.

Saving a fortune!
Good lord, I would be happy to pay £46 per month my water rates are £71 per month !!!
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2015, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
Good lord, I would be happy to pay £46 per month my water rates are £71 per month !!!
Wow !! That's a hefty water bill!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top