Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2009, 10:33 AM

The Geek Thread

Because we need one....

Coming Up:

THE PRISONER - remember that? There`s a remake in production with Sir Ian McKellan as Number 2. It`s being shot in Namibia so we should see big white balls bouncing menacingly along the desert....

GOING POSTAL. Yeyy! Pratchett fans can look forward to Moist Von Lipwig doing his thing on Sky shortly. The sketches for the Clacks towers look amazing.

Please point your geeky recommendations here!

Book series reppie -
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - a great Noirish PI series set in Chicago. The twist is that the PI is a Wizard. Book 12 just out and it keeps getting better. If you want to dip in, start at Book One because they all follow on and you`ll get lost if you start in the middle.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2009, 12:07 PM

Re: The Geek Thread

I'll look forward to The Prisoner.

Despite hearing many recommendations from people whose views I respect, I've never got into Terry Pratchett; I will one day
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2009, 01:48 PM

Have to say I'm lousy where reading books are concerned --my two must reads are Bill Bryson and Gerald Durrell
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2009, 02:45 PM

The first book I ever read was Moby Dick, my mum got it for me when I was a lad.

The film is great too, Richard Baseheart is Ishmael and Gregory Peck is cap'n Ahab.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2009, 08:57 PM

I'm not sure that The Prisoner will be the same without Patick Mcgoohan (just found out he died in January of this year aged 80). He was one of my heart throbs when I was a teenager.

I'm going to look for The Dresden Files - thanks, claireandaisy!

And yes, I love Terry Pratchett too - although only come to like his books via the Radio 4 audio series. Couldn't listen to those without a laugh and a smile.

I wonder what "The Geek Thread" SHOULD contain???
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2009, 09:42 PM

I loved to watch The Prisoner and to me no other adaptation could match the Patrick Mcgoohan series...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I loved to watch The Prisoner and to me no other adaptation could match the Patrick Mcgoohan series...
I think it will be really difficult to replicate the original ,
I also loved the fact it was filmed in Portmeirion, it added an an air of quirkiness to the whole thing.
Jackie
UK
Jackie is female  Jackie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2009, 08:38 AM

One of the first books I remember reading was "Black Beauty" and can anyone remember the series "White Horses" loved that!!
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2009, 08:48 AM

I remember White Horses, do you remember the song? I also used to watch the prisoner.
Chr1st1an
East Anglia
Chr1st1an is male  Chr1st1an has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Talking of The Prisoner - what a crazy place is Port Meirion -I mean crazy in a lovely way -if you haven't yet visited I can recommend.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top