Join for free
val
Kent UK
val is female  val has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Is this the end of your radio?

In five years, all radios in the UK will switch to digital. This development was first announced some time ago, but it seems many people are still unaware of it. In fact, the government has been warned it is in danger of a public backlash when listeners realise what is happening in 2015.

Peers in the House of Lords say the plan to leave behind FM and AM could backfire when between 50 and 100 million analogue radios become largely redundant and around 20 million car radios stop working, unless they are converted.

The Communications Committee's findings suggest there is "public confusion and industry uncertainty" about the switchover, illustrating its point by insisting that many consumers are still buying analogue radios, even though they will soon become museum pieces.

They have warned of a "major public reaction" against the proposal, particularly when people realise that only 1% of all cars can receive digital, even though 20% of all radio listening takes place on the road.

There are serious concerns about how the elderly or members of disadvantaged communities will cope with the change. The report also criticises the decision to close 6 Music and the Asian Network, suggesting it sends out the wrong signal to listeners.

"No-one can be satisfied with the present position. There is an urgent need for clarity which was emphasised by almost all those who gave us evidence. No way forward is entirely painless but at the very least the public deserve to know what is being planned," stated the committee.

http://bit.ly/9Qh7DT

Wasn't sure where to post this, sorry if its in the wrong place.
I never knew about this did anyone else? I knew the teles were changing but not radios.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 08:57 AM

Re: Is this the end of your radio?

I can't see this happening - particularly as they can't even decide which DAB system to use
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 11:22 AM

I`ve been using DAB radios since they came out because the reception`s better.
I`d be interested to know how many still use analogue.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 01:04 PM

It's inevitable - but will prob take them ages as they do seem to drag their feet when it comes to technology, we're already behind on broadband, countries like Japan, Norway, Amsterdam etc have much faster connections than us!
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 01:21 PM

Never listen to the radio any more except in the car, . . . the TV meets all my needs as regards news etc.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-03-2010, 01:50 PM

We've been using a DAB radio for years - as Claire says, much better reception.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2010, 07:52 AM

I knew something about it but not all the details.

I dont use the radio much or the TV as I tend to get my news etc. from the internet.

Does clearer signals mean it will be easier for deaf people to hear the radio?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top