Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2015, 01:34 PM

Re: Abba

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I didn't like the way a couple of the artists performed the Abba songs, a poor substitute I thought.

I did like Susan Boyle tonight though, she performed well...
I didn't know Susan Boyle was on that show Mags, or else I would have taped it. Always loved her music, she has a heavenly voice and showed the world that you don't have to be young and beautiful to be successful.
dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2015, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Absolutely true Mags. As I say to people can you name one English popular music group that could write such wonderful songs in Swedish, not a hope in hell of any of them doing that, and before the pedants jump in, yes I know that English is taught in Swedish schools and widely used but that still doesn't make it their mother tongue, the one they grew up with.
Why would any English speaking group want to write songs in Swedish

Yes Abba were great, timeless .
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-12-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Losos ->
Absolutely true Mags. As I say to people can you name one English popular music group that could write such wonderful songs in Swedish, not a hope in hell of any of them doing that, and before the pedants jump in, yes I know that English is taught in Swedish schools and widely used but that still doesn't make it their mother tongue, the one they grew up with.
Having spent some time in Sweden (and Finland) I can confirm that most children are bi-lingual at a very early age and swap between the two at the drop of a hat !
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2015, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by ScottishCatLady ->
I didn't know Susan Boyle was on that show Mags, or else I would have taped it. Always loved her music, she has a heavenly voice and showed the world that you don't have to be young and beautiful to be successful.
Here's the lady herself Susan, a fine performance it was too

carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2015, 12:51 AM

I loved that video Mags. Didn't Susan sing it beautifully?

Abba music seems to bridge the generation gap. Three generations in my family like them - me, my daughter in law and my 10 year old granddaughter.

The film Mama Mia was responsible for getting Abba a whole lot of younger fans.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-12-2015, 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
I loved that video Mags. Didn't Susan sing it beautifully?

Abba music seems to bridge the generation gap. Three generations in my family like them - me, my daughter in law and my 10 year old granddaughter.

The film Mama Mia was responsible for getting Abba a whole lot of younger fans.
That's exactly what I thought Carol .... she looks more relaxed too.

My granddaughter loves the Abba music and must have nearly worn her Mama Mia DVD out She even named her cat Mia!
CailinRua
The High Coast
CailinRua is female  CailinRua has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2016, 11:57 PM

Such is my appreciation for them that I even legally changed my name to Agnetha in April 1981 (I chose April because I was born in April and it was the ideal time for my rebirth).

I never liked my original forename though which was another reason I changed it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 06:53 PM

Abba were a bit like the Bee Gees, a bit naff and you just didn't admit to liking them. But now I am older and no longer cool, I really can appreciate their talent.
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Abba were a bit like the Bee Gees, a bit naff and you just didn't admit to liking them. But now I am older and no longer cool, I really can appreciate their talent.
me too Longdogs - i used to really like them back in the day but wouldnt admit to it but now i can play my Abba CDs in the car and i dont care who hears me
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-03-2016, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Welshie ->
me too Longdogs - i used to really like them back in the day but wouldnt admit to it but now i can play my Abba CDs in the car and i dont care who hears me
Try not singing along - It's impossible.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top