Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Raven
Birmingham. UK
Raven is female 

18-05-2016, 07:55 AM

"Carry on" films........Remake's

It has been announced that they will be remaking the "Carry on"films.

Why bother? The originals are great just the way they are. Is it again the case of no good script writers or good ideas these days?

When you have had great success with a series or films and have stood the test of time and still watched many years later. Already remade Dads Army. In my opinion,when something is so good,leave well alone. You can't improve on "Classic".

What will be next to get re-hashed?
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 08:06 AM

Re: "Carry on" films........Remake's

I thoroughly agree! The thing that worries me mostly is that they will probably make them with that awful Russell Brand playing one of the leading roles.
Welshie
United Kingdom
Welshie is female  Welshie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I thoroughly agree! The thing that worries me mostly is that they will probably make them with that awful Russell Brand playing one of the leading roles.
im not a fan of his either - although saw him at a petrol station in Slough couple of weekends ago and he was happy to take selfies with fans (not me i hastly add) but he did seem to take a shine to my 23 yr old daughter as he kept looking over at her
back to the OP and i hope they dont remake the Carry on Films as i love the originals - i still watch them if they come on now and you cant replace the orignal stars like Sid James Hattie Jacques to name just a couple. I havent seen the new remake of Dad's Army but a couple of friends have seen it and have said its not the same or as good
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 08:48 AM

I think the film makers have so little imagination and the desire to make a quick buck that they can't be bothered to find something original, just redo successful films from the past.
There are so many wonderful writers out there, you only have to look in the libraries and book shops. Lots of books I've read would make good films.
I think also there's a bit of snobbery going on, you have to be a "name" that people recognise to get a film made.
Perhaps they should hold competitions to find new material and new writers.
Raven
Birmingham. UK
Raven is female 

18-05-2016, 08:49 AM

"Household names" was said about the cast for the film. Most probably who they think is funny and witty these days but are actually not at all funny,just obnoxious and self opinionated but popular with the younger generation.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 08:57 AM

I was not really a fan of the 'Carry on' films but think we have changed as a country in many ways since the days when the original films were made.

I think it would be a big mistake to try to recapture a moment in time when particular actors with that unique degree of naivety and cheeky innuendo all came together to make the films.
At best the new films will be a poor imitation of the originals and lacking the real 'heart'.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 09:01 AM

The last 3 films made were very poor and were just a cash in, but wait and see these may appeal to a new generation.

I have them all in a box set and although dated, still give a gentle days viewing.
Raven
Birmingham. UK
Raven is female 

18-05-2016, 09:05 AM

Complete agreement with you Meg. The original St.Trinian's films were another such "classic" with great actors and actresses like Alistair Sim and George Cole and Joyce Grenfell and all those other great British actors of the time and the re-makes of those were terrible. If it isn't broke,don't try and fix it.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 09:07 AM

I guess the film production company are working on the theory that the original Carry-On's were so successful so a new series aimed at a whole new generation who missed the 60s/70s/80s might also bring success?

I tend to go with the views already expressed that That Was Then and This Is Now and wonder how well the humour would survive. I also agree with Nom that the last few of the originals were stinkers, so that doesn't bode well for remakes.

There are good films being made now; there are some good comedies, though there is a lot of dross. I think it would be better to be original
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2016, 06:33 PM

I agree. There are very few re-made films that I have seen that come close to being as good as the original.

One example of such a failure is 'The Flight of the Phoenix'. The original (British) is an excellent film; the re-make (American) can only be described as inferior crap (in my opinion of course - perhaps the Americans like it).

I have yet to see the re-make of Dad's Army (I can't buy the DVD or go to the kinema, since I'm a tight-fisted Yorkie), but I'm hoping for good things.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top