Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2010, 08:09 PM

What is true in history?

Dick Turpin used to be my hero when I was a kid, now I read He was nothing but a cattle rustler who had a butcher shop. Do Lemmings really commit suicide?, were there two Robin Hoods?, who stole J.F.K's brain?, all this stuff is in an amusing book I got called "Thats Bo---cks" by Albert Jack, it's very funny light reading. You won't trust any official version of history after this, for all we really know Attila the Hun was a ballet dancer.
Sorry but that's the name of the book, be careful asking for it at the Library.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-08-2010, 08:39 PM

Re: What is true in history?

That sounds like a fun read! But I'd put a hold on line at the library so as to avoid asking for it by name ....
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Dick Turpin used to be my hero when I was a kid, now I read He was nothing but a cattle rustler who had a butcher shop. Do Lemmings really commit suicide?, were there two Robin Hoods?, who stole J.F.K's brain?, all this stuff is in an amusing book I got called "Thats Bo---cks" by Albert Jack, it's very funny light reading. You won't trust any official version of history after this, for all we really know Attila the Hun was a ballet dancer.
Sorry but that's the name of the book, be careful asking for it at the Library.
Most of what is in this book has been written about elsewhere and you can buy this book from Amazon for around £7.

The question is, What is the true story about any Myths and Legends?

Most stories tend to get romantacised as the years pass and more and more of the real truth is left out.

Dick Turpin was a butcher, like his father, in his youth but left that behind to become an alledged rustler, thief, burgler and eventually a murderer.
He was alledgedly hung as a horse thief.
Who really knows the truth about anything from the past unless they witnessed it personally.

Do you want to know about the past? Google it and the decide if you believe it.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 03:39 PM

What is truth? but I`ll save philosophy for others.

My favourite is about Romulus and Remus who were suckled by a wolf-Lupus-the Latin for wolf.

But a `she wolf` was also the term given to a lady of dubious morals so, were they in fact raised on the titties of a whore?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Old git ->
What is truth? but I`ll save philosophy for others.

My favourite is about Romulus and Remus who were suckled by a wolf-Lupus-the Latin for wolf.

But a `she wolf` was also the term given to a lady of dubious morals so, were they in fact raised on the titties of a whore?
Have you been reading the same book as me OG
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 04:21 PM

Yes I agree with you AB about stories becoming romanticised over the years, especially by relatives of the subject, and it is all quite harmless, but when it comes to important political events in history, those in power at the time always favour themselves. This in time can lead to serious consequences, like wars which are still being fought today over what happened (or allegedly happened) years ago.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 04:41 PM

Have you been reading the same book as me OG

Nope-two years of failing to learn Latin at some minor public school .

Amo amas amat our teacher is quite fat

Amabo, some thing,ababunt -our teacher is a ....................jolly nice fellow
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by jemflux ->
Yes I agree with you AB about stories becoming romanticised over the years, especially by relatives of the subject, and it is all quite harmless, but when it comes to important political events in history, those in power at the time always favour themselves. This in time can lead to serious consequences, like wars which are still being fought today over what happened (or allegedly happened) years ago.
Yes - you always have to be aware of who has written the "history". Much history is actually shades of grey and not black and white. A bit of coloured embroidery is usually found between the pages and there is always another side to the story.
Number 6
New Member!
Wirral, Cheshire
Number 6 is male 

28-08-2010, 01:50 AM

Researching history unearths many myths that have been ingrained as facts down the centuries. Many a romantic notion or ideal has been shattered by the hidden truth.
And will continue to do so.
Number 6
New Member!
Wirral, Cheshire
Number 6 is male 

28-08-2010, 01:52 AM

Or did they commit beasteality?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top