Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-10-2016, 11:00 PM

"Music" in TV Docs - Too loud, too repetitive, too irritating !

I sit down to watch a bit of TV. An interesting documentary about nature. Fine. The narration starts and the photography/film is beautiful then comes the music, usually on a continuous tape, round and round and very irritating because it is so repetitive. The stupid thing is that the music continues even when the presenter is still talking ! In places the music is so loud that it is difficult to here the narration !

What the heck is the matter with people who put together documentaries ? Are they all tarnished with a sort of compulsion to put music on the film sound track, regardless of whether there is speech or not? It seems to me to be some sort of fetish, to include inane 'going nowhere' music, that keeps repeating and repeating ad nauseum. It spoils the documentary, it invades your consciousness to such a degree that you feel you have to turn the TV off !

These people don't seem to realise that they are damaging the effect that they are striving to achieve !

Has anybody else noticed this rather off-putting trend ?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 06:42 AM

Re: "Music" in TV Docs - Too loud, too repetitive, too irritating !

That is one of the reasons I no longer have a TV.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 08:31 AM

I completely agree Tilly. It's very annoying.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 08:34 AM

Another thing is when a documentary doesn't have much to say so they keep repeating the same scene over and over again, sometimes it's some bloke walking across a field.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 09:16 AM

I use subtitles a lot in situations like that I can't hear if there is too much going on, but it's dark scenes annoy me, straining to see who or what is happening as they film it all in the dark.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 09:34 AM

I watch a lot of documentaries, like Police Interceptors, and others like that, and they invariably all use some kind of percussion in their soundtracks which annoys me no end!!! So I completely agree with you.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 09:55 AM

Too true Gilly, and how some of the presenters mumble too, (Brian Cox and Dan Cruikshank as a couple of prime examples ), they obviously didn't train at the David Attenborough school of presentation....
moreover
North Wales, UK
moreover is female  moreover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 11:12 AM

Not only Documentaries. I tend to use subtitles for many dramas and films too because I just can't tell what characters are saying. Particularly American programmes. Actors don't articulate and project these days, as they used to when trained for theatre. They just mumble into microphones.

Anothing annoying thing, I find, is presenters walking, even running and panting, and talking back over their shoulders to camera. Why on earth do they do that?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-10-2016, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
Not only Documentaries. I tend to use subtitles for many dramas and films too because I just can't tell what characters are saying. Particularly American programmes. Actors don't articulate and project these days, as they used to when trained for theatre. They just mumble into microphones.

Anothing annoying thing, I find, is presenters walking, even running and panting, and talking back over their shoulders to camera. Why on earth do they do that?
Arty-Farty film crews. Like sticking the camera up someone's nose when interviewing them.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-10-2016, 10:02 PM

In some nature programs it can be very annoying, why not just the natural sounds. I think it depends on who makes them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top