Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Re: Billy Connolly

I too have cried with laughter at his tv shows. Remember once watching with my Dad.

I saw some of that programme, and yes, it is a shame.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 06:13 PM

I never liked him after the Ken Bigley 'joke' I didn't like him much before either...

Story in full BILLY Connolly has carved a career out of his outrageous sense of humour, but the Scottish stand-up comic appears to have made a joke too far after touching on the plight of British hostage Kenneth Bigley in Iraq. The 61-year-old comedian told a London audience during an on-stage live performance that he wished Mr Bigley’s captors, who have threatened to behead the British engineer as they have two Americans, would "get on with it". The joke, made during a show on Monday night, was met with jeers from the audience at the Carling Apollo, Hammersmith. One man shouted: "You’re talking about a man’s life, Billy." Connolly apparently responded with a four-letter expletive.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 08:45 PM

I used to be a big fan of Connolly - not so much these days. I saw him live in Scotland where he spent the whole time slagging off the English and live in England where he spent the whole time slagging off the Scots.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-05-2017, 09:59 PM

I've been a fan of Billy Connolly for many many years. I am so sad he has such a devastating illness. Such a lively, funny and intelligent man - it's such a shame. I have laughed 'til I cried watching that lovely man.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
i never liked him after the ken bigley 'joke' i didn't like him much before either...

Story in full billy connolly has carved a career out of his outrageous sense of humour, but the scottish stand-up comic appears to have made a joke too far after touching on the plight of british hostage kenneth bigley in iraq. The 61-year-old comedian told a london audience during an on-stage live performance that he wished mr bigley’s captors, who have threatened to behead the british engineer as they have two americans, would "get on with it". the joke, made during a show on monday night, was met with jeers from the audience at the carling apollo, hammersmith. One man shouted: "you’re talking about a man’s life, billy." connolly apparently responded with a four-letter expletive.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2017, 07:48 AM

I am a huge fan of Billy "The big Yin" and have been ever since I first saw him all those years ago on the Michael Parkinson shows. I have got everything he ever recorded on dvd and I still watch one now and then. So sad to see his deterioration. Even on " Who do you think you are" he was still able to make me laugh.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-05-2017, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Are you a fan of Billy Connolly? Did you see this programme?
Never been a fan since he joked about a man who was held prisoner by terrorists and who was threatened with decapitation. http://www.scotsman.com/news/uk/crow...-joke-1-557343

Let's see how HE reacts to his own suffering, you never know he may take his own advice... "Perhaps I shouldn’t be saying this ... aren’t you the same as me, don’t you wish they would just get on with it ?"

I despise the man and wouldn't watch him if I was paid. Carol has the right idea.
callistra
london uk
callistra is female  callistra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 04:54 PM

I grew up listening to Billy. Yes he does cuss a fair bit and says what he thinks. Then again he has survived some very traumatic events in his life.
That was the background he knew. His observations on life were often astute, even if his humour wasn't to every ones taste.
I do remember with fondness his witty versions of D I V O R C E and In the Navy, his being In the Brownies.
So whether you like his style or not, The Big Yin is indeed a large character who has had an impact on many people.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 05:40 PM

He married looks,I married money. But that`s life-A single malt or titties dripping Teachers??
Gravitas
North England
Gravitas is male  Gravitas has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2017, 08:57 PM

I never liked him. He's one of those unwatchables as far as I'm concerned. And no I'm not one of those humourless miserable gits who don't like any stand ups. At least since Arthur Askey was a lad.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top