Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Slumdog Millionaire

About a week ago on a Sunday afternoon there was nothing worth watching on tv so we thought we would pay and watch this film on our Sky Box Office. It had won no end of awards and it was a film I thought worth a watch, a boy from India wining Who Wants To Be A Millionaire" so I thought ........

Ten minutes into the film and I just couldn't watch anymore!!!! I said to my husband "TURN IT OFF, I just can't stand anymore of it!" It was all violence, torture and hiting of young children and it went on and on!!!! Alright, maybe that's how it is in India but who wants to watch that for entertainment, I DONT!!!! I can't take a lot of watching violence and torture! I can't understand how it won so many awards .

What do others think of it? I'm Interested to know. Maybe it's just me but I shan't be watching it again!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 05:28 PM

Re: Slumdog Millionaire

I haven't seen it Alicat so I'm afraid I cannot comment......
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I haven't seen it Alicat so I'm afraid I cannot comment......
Well if you don't like violence Mags, I wouldn't bother.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 06:40 PM

I really really hate violence and seldom watch 15 films and would be very unlikely to watch an 18 one. (I liked No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood though - both very adult)
However - I thought Slumdog Millionaire was a fantastic film. The start is very tough. My son watched it before me and warned that although they all Live Happily Ever After the start isn't an easy watch. I think those people who raved about it being a happy film and with the feelgood factor - even comparing it to Mama Mia - (out at a similar time) did no-one any favours.

Give it another try Alicat? - it really is a very good film.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 06:56 PM

I haven't seen it yet, my son says it is an excellent film and we are very alike in outlook and taste...

I don't like gratuitous violence, I had a video of 'Wolf Creek' and was appaled by the violence and turned it off. It was clearly a film just to shock with no happy ending.

When I have seen the DVD of the film SDM I will comment again...
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2009, 09:55 PM

Not watched it either-my brother says its a very good film and worth watching. Will probably try and watch it at some point, but my problem is I'm not very good at sitting still long enough to see a film through-tend to get fidgety half-way through.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 02:15 PM

It's a really good movie

I thought it was going to be pants cos the last time a film was so hyped up left me severely disappointed (blair witch project).

Slumdog was great tho - and the violence you saw is a fairly realistic representation of what goes on in some '3rd world' countries... a good eye opener if nothing else. Of course those that have seen it knows there's more to it than that - it's a good old fashioned love story underneath the harsh realities of life in India... a must watch
Alicat
West Berkshire

08-09-2009, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
It's a really good movie

I thought it was going to be pants cos the last time a film was so hyped up left me severely disappointed (blair witch project).

Slumdog was great tho - and the violence you saw is a fairly realistic representation of what goes on in some '3rd world' countries... a good eye opener if nothing else. Of course those that have seen it knows there's more to it than that - it's a good old fashioned love story underneath the harsh realities of life in India... a must watch
My God Azz, were we watching the same film! I think what I'll have to do is the next time it is on, record it onto our Sky Planner and run through the violent bits and just watch the non violent bits. Thanks Azz
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2009, 09:16 PM

Even the violent bits are interesting... I won't mention anything specific but I hear that kind of thing (re the kids) really does go on in some places... quite sad really!
Vicki
Croydon, Surrey
Vicki is female 

08-09-2009, 09:35 PM

I watched it and thoroughly enjoyed it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top