Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 07:33 PM

Earthquake in Washington!

Here in Washington .... well in Virginia actually, but felt here and down as far as North Carolina, almost unheard of here in the Mid Atlantic. It was a good one 5.8 magnitude and lasted 30 - 45 seconds, I was really really scared! The whole building started shaking and shaking; st first I thought it was something caused by the construction work that's going on in the area, but it was too severe ... thought it must be an earthquake and it was. I was just sitting reading the paper when the whole room started shaking ...knocked some plants off the stands but no other damage. Ran out in the hall to see other tenants who informed it had indeed been an earthquake. So back in to watch the TV ... other programs replaced by coverage. Leia was lying in the bed quite calmly during the whole thing ... I thought cats could sense earthquakes?

Anyhow, I'm OK, hope there will be no aftershocks!!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Re: Earthquake in Washington!

Be thankful Eileen, it's been a long while since the earth moved for me ...
maryl
UK
maryl is female  maryl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Be thankful Eileen, it's been a long while since the earth moved for me ...
Typical man .......

Eileen, what a horrible experience, scary. So glad you are OK. Good job you let us know, we'd all have been asking you otherwise.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 07:55 PM

Just had a call from a friend who was in the supermarket when it hit ... panic, floor shaking, things falling; he hightailed it out leaving the groceries!

Metro is running, but only at 15 mph while they check the tracks for any damage. Some damage at the National Cathedral; phones OK.

We haven't had an earthquake greater than 5 since....... 1897!!!!!

A very very scary experience, still shaky myself; think I'll break out the martini pitcher early!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 08:32 PM

So glad you're OK Eileen, get yourself a stiff drink and I hope thats the end of it. Me sitting here bored silly, the TV is terrible, the Wifes out, and my God you've just been through an earthquake!, what a contrast.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

23-08-2011, 08:42 PM

My first and I hope last earthquake, Jem; I sincerely hope you never experience one. It's hard to explain how weird it feels when the whole building is juddering .....The martinis are chilling in the fridge ....
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 08:48 PM

I hope you're alright Eileen, must have been an awful experience for you. Hope you've had that stiff drink by now

I've just notice on the map link I gave you on Catsey, that there has been another smaller earthquake in Virginia about an hour ago. This one was 2.8 - an aftershock maybe?
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

23-08-2011, 08:57 PM

It probably was, Mags, apparently I missed hearing about that on TV; I'm sort of multitasking now: posting, listening to Spotify and the TV both. At least I felt nothing. A lot of government buildings were evacuated;some people sent home and others waiting for the firemen to check the safety before allowing them back in.

I checked with our building and the elevators are fine.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 09:03 PM

How scary Eileen, you are ok and that is the main thing
Berxer
Chatterbox
S.Wales, UK
Berxer is female  Berxer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-08-2011, 10:15 PM

What a scary experience! So glad you're alright Eileen.....have you managed to stop shaking yet?

As for Leia she probably thought, "nothing is going to wake me from my catnap"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top