Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2011, 10:08 PM

Cornish Game Hens

I came across a mention of them in the Food section of the paper, and it occurred to me that it might be even more practical than a chicken for the Thanksgiving/Christmas meal for a single person. Has anyone cooked them? Are they mostly white meat? (I hope!). Any comments appreciated.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 12:30 AM

Re: Cornish Game Hens

Eileen although I don't eat chicken I cook it for other people .
I have never cooked CGH. They are similar to Poussin which I have cooked, small/only a few weeks old/ mainly white meat. As such I wouldn't think they have a lot of flavour unlike an older organic free range bird which would be my first choice. It may be bigger but it can be nice to have cold meat and the carcass for soup . I am sure Leia would help to eat it too..
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 12:40 AM

Thanks, Meg; I've substituted a roast chicken for the holiday turkey ever since I've been cooking for myself only since Dad passed away in 1964. And resident cat always gets the legs, and the wing and back meat go on the stockpot. (Don't care for dark meat). But I thought a Game Hen might be a nice change .... I could have my usual stuffing and it would be really just a nice one-meal serving. Just exploring the idea, a month till Christmas dinner!
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 08:53 AM

Eileen darlin' Have spent a number of Xmases alone - one year I had roast duck with a cherry sauce - very nice !!! and since its smaller than a turkey there's only just enough for a couple of servings.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

25-11-2011, 05:08 PM

Never cooked a duck, and what I am aiming for is a single serving main dish ... the game hen sounds like it; better than my usual roast chicken.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 05:40 PM

I'm going to buy some turkey breasts, of which I'll eat one and freeze the others, as they usually come in threes.

I don't like duck at all as it is quite greasy.

I've never heard of Cornish Game Hens before.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

25-11-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
I'm going to buy some turkey breasts, of which I'll eat one and freeze the others, as they usually come in threes.

I don't like duck at all as it is quite greasy.

I've never heard of Cornish Game Hens before.
Here you go, Mollie. Perhaps they're not popular in the UK?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornish_game_hen
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 05:48 PM

No I havent either, its difficult to cook for only one, we usually have Salmon from the fishmonger and it does for both days, with new pots and veg and the second day with Rice Salad. Not eating much at the moment so that will be nice and light.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA

25-11-2011, 05:56 PM

Fish is ideally portion-sized, Annie. One broiled trout is just right for one (with a tiny bit for Leia too! ). And yes, salmon or swordfish steaks.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-11-2011, 05:58 PM

Eileen I have eaten and really enjoy Poussin Baby chicken and bred for breast meat usually very tender I either roast as a chicken (shorter time) or sometimes spatchcock it and add black pepper to the skin. I reccommend them.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top