Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 05:09 PM

Mistletoe

Just saw a bit on the morning news that there is a mistletoe shortage this season; it grows mainly in Texas, and has suffered from the drouth there!
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Re: Mistletoe

Strange there was a news item here the other week saying there was loads in the UK as the weather had suited it this year.
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 06:24 PM

I read about the drought in Texas and the shortage of mistletoe, and I read too about the abundance of it in the UK..I think it said the reason was last years mild winter.

Here's a clip on mistletoe :- "According to tradition a man should pluck a berry when he kisses a woman under a branch of the plant and when the last berry is gone there should be no more kissing. With so many berries this year it should certainly be a good Christmas for kissing."
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:17 PM

Worcestershire is considered to be one of the best places for growing and obtaining Mistletoe in the UK and there are yearly auctions and a festival at Tenbury Wells.

The apple trees around me and hanging heavy with mistletoe, no shortage here...
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:23 PM

I've never seen mistletoe... other than indoors; I mean growing wild. Didn't the Druids cut it with a golden sickle for rites?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:36 PM

I've bought holly for indoor decoration but I've never bought mistletoe.

I'll also let you into a little secret, I have never ever had a kiss under the mistletoe
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Aw Mags
C'mon gentlemen, who will be first
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by dandysmom ->
I've never seen mistletoe... other than indoors; I mean growing wild. Didn't the Druids cut it with a golden sickle for rites?
Eileen mistletoe is steeped in ancient folk law much to do with fertility.

If you look at the old fallen apple tree (which is still alive) next to my house you will see 'fuzzy balls', that is mistletoe, sorry it is not very clear it was taken last year when I was trying to work out what the bird was.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
Aw Mags
C'mon gentlemen, who will be first
It's not quite the same when you're older!
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2011, 07:55 PM

Snap Mags,oh well if that is it in your photo then I have seen it, I thought it was old birdsnests.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top