Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 03:53 PM

Re: Preparing for winter

We just sit around a 50 watt lightbulb, if it’s really cold, we switch it on...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 04:15 PM

I stop shaving my legs. I sport Winter Plummage until April.
I also keep an eye out for plump bearded gentlemen to snuggle up to. Unfortunately they're hard to catch!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you make any particular preparations for winter each year, ot just take it as it comes?

I always have my boiler serviced, he is coming beginning of December this year.
Do others have their boilers serviced every year, or is it just a waste of money do you think?

My car has just been fully serviced and it's MOT as well, and I shall get a couple of front tyres replaced incase we get snow, as the tread on these is not as good as it could be.

I must admit I don't do a lot else, not unless there is a forecast predicting really bad weather on the way, then I will nip out and make sure I have extra supplies in for myself and the dogs as well.

Has anyone had their heating on yet?
Not properly - just an hour or so one morning because those idiot cats were complaining they were cold! Always have the boiler and gas fire serviced.

I always make sure sure the freezer and store cupboard are fully stocked, make sure I have plenty of candles, batteries for the torches - that sort of thing.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:34 PM

Winter is only 90 days, no sweat.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-10-2019, 10:35 PM

Longevity is a bigger issue.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 03:01 AM

I'm preparing for summer. And these days that means only one thing. Bushfires.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 07:22 AM

I always dread the onset of winter the dark sky and cold does get me down but I'm lucky to have a little house and its warm as I had a new boiler last year . It will get serviced each year I would worry if I didn't get it done . I have a gas fire I've been putting on low each afternoon and evening I hate being cold . I wish I could hibernate and sleep till springtime
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

07-10-2019, 07:30 AM

This is ironic Had a new boiler fitted, the financial justification being we could save a couple of hundred quid a year in maintenance costs on the old one. The new one has a seven year warranty, but, to keep this warranty valid, you have to have the Boiler serviced every year at a cost of a hundred quid.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 08:08 AM

Spitfire I pay £40 to a gas engineer but I think I will have to go to Worcester for their yearly maintenance contract after 2 years to be sure i will get help and parts if the boiler breaks down . Sometimes my gas engineer is just too busy to come out within 24 hrs
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-10-2019, 08:17 AM

Always nice to read the comments at this time of year! We've recently gone onto daylight saving time and the days are getting warmer although spring in the "Roaring Forties" is always a bit unpredictable. Hope my Aussie mates on here don't get afflicted with bushfires when the real heat is on.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top