Join for free
Page 12 of 27 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »
Ray Cathode
Scotland, UK (but not EU)
Ray Cathode is male  Ray Cathode has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 10:55 PM

Re: 39 people found dead in lorry

I'm disappointed with my fellow forum members, these poor souls were just trying to find a better life. We need to find a way to stop the people smugglers, not rejoice in their failure, if this is the result.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:11 PM

illegal Economic migrants come here because it's easy to hide and find work and accommodation. Other European countries either have no jobs or jobs that are regulated so you need a work permit etc. There are hotels in the UK totally staffed by near slave labour. Here, guys turn up on a building site and nobody asks for their work permit. This is great for our economy but unfortunately it makes Britain more attractive to the point that they will risk their lives and pay their life savings.

Someone on TV was explaining that in Vietnam the whole family and others will sell houses or remortgage everything they own to send offspring here via smugglers. They expect that family member to pay back all the money and then send more money home for years. So in that poor girls's text she was apologising. That was the most heartbreaking part of it. Even though she was dying she felt she had let her family down.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Ray Cathode ->
It's being reported that at least 3 off the victims are from Vietnam. The parents of one 26 year old girl had received a call from her saying she couldn't breathe and was going to die. The family had paid £30,000 ffor her to be smuggled. Bizarrely it is also being reported that the smugglers have returned the money.

I can only assume that the people who pay people traffickers are not on the bottom rung of poverty if they can pay £30000 if this sum mentioned is indeed true .
Surely they would be better off building a life in Vietnam with the money .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
illegal Economic migrants come here because it's easy to hide and find work and accommodation. Other European countries either have no jobs or jobs that are regulated so you need a work permit etc. There are hotels in the UK totally staffed by near slave labour. Here, guys turn up on a building site and nobody asks for their work permit. This is great for our economy but unfortunately it makes Britain more attractive to the point that they will risk their lives and pay their life savings.

Someone on TV was explaining that in Vietnam the whole family and others will sell houses or remortgage everything they own to send offspring here via smugglers. They expect that family member to pay back all the money and then send more money home for years. So in that poor girls's text she was apologising. That was the most heartbreaking part of it. Even though she was dying she felt she had let her family down.
I don’t see how anyone can turn up on a building site and get work .
There are all sorts of regulations surely .
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I think they have people called "gangmasters" who seem to provide casual labour to all sorts of places, particularly in agriculture etc. I don't know what sort of checks they do for building work. But I think guys can pretty much just turn up at a specified place and they know that as long as they are dressed appropriately they will get work for a day, maybe bricklaying or demolition. It's always been like that here. Cash in hand labour.

But the other attractive thing about the UK is the network of migrants here already so people have contacts who will help them find work and housing. It is well known to authorities that there are many illegal immigrants living here. The police broadcast asked them to step forward to help with this tragedy. But the authorities have no way to cope with the scale of the situation. There's a great deal of identity fraud so even if they did introduce a system people would find a way to get around it in order to access services.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-10-2019, 11:32 PM

Hi

Unfortunately that is true Muddy, and not just on building sites.

Vietnamese female illegals are most often found in Nail Bars.

Those that do not earn enough are then forced into Prostitution.

Vietnamese Males are most often forced, on arrival, to work as Cannabis Growers.

Our Government for the last 10 years has been all about deregulation, Market Forces.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 08:21 AM

I do see Vietnamese nail bars spring up .
Why are they not checked out by the police ?
Why on earth would manicurists be allowed into the UK anyway they are not exactly essential workers.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-10-2019, 09:02 AM

I do see Vietnamese nail bars spring up .
Why are they not checked out by the police ?
Why on earth would manicurists be allowed into the UK anyway they are not exactly essential workers.
Hi

You need to go back in time Muddy.

2010, the Cameron Victory and the start of Austerity.

The Maybot as Home Secretary.

Huge cuts.

Not a Police job, no more Joint Working.

A massive cut in staff.

Take a 20% cut in pay and allowances and there will be no Redundancy.

One year and one day later later, huge Redundancies, saving her a mint in Final Salary Pensions.

She continued, no more detaining Illegals, costs too much, let them go.

Manchester, the killing of innocents?

Cheaper than stopping it.

Boris is even worse.

He is going to give all Illegals an Amnesty.

So much for taking back Control.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

26-10-2019, 09:16 AM

I didn’t know this but it appears so .

https://bigleaguepolitics.com/is-bor...rants-amnesty/
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

26-10-2019, 09:21 AM

I think the idea of an amnesty is down to the scale of the situation. The numbers are huge and deporting so many would be impossible and extremely costly. Non EU migration is higher than EU and unlike EU most do not return.

Page 12 of 27 « First < 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top