Join for free
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:11 PM

Section additions and removals

As you've probably noticed, we've been making some changes and alterations recently, but before I go into that I want to quickly thank you all for your feedback these last few weeks. It's really nice to see so many of you care about the forum so much

In short the changes involve:

- Putting two of the ideas on hold for now (The Big Debate and Have Your Say sections)
- Adding new sections and removing some that weren't used much
- Adding the ability for mods to mark any thread as a 'members only' thread (contents of thread will then not show to guests)

Overal I think the forum is much better balanced - the new health sections in particular can now better serve our age demographic.

Well, that's about it really! A nice simple update

I will however leave you with what I've given the mods as their guidelines on thread categorisation (see next post) but its quite simple really; if the topic of a thread has a section, the thread goes in there. If not, then the next best section is based on the type of thread it is, for instance, whether it's a 'rant', a news item, a discussion, etc. Use these two simple rules and you'll be fine

Thanks again for your time and patience, and I really do think this is all the changes for a while

Further updates:

Yes, I know, I am still tweaking things I will list them here as I go along.

I have removed the Happy Corner section. It just wasn't get used much. I think what we can do instead though, is use the normal General Chat section for such threads and simply add 'Happy Thread:' in the title and just mention in the first post that we would only like positive replies. Hopefully everyone else will honour that request, if not, I will ask Meg and Mags to sort them out
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2016, 07:11 PM

Re: Section additions and removals

As promised, here is a copy of the mod guidelines. I am only posting it here for those who are curious. The two simple rules above are all you need to know so please feel free to ignore this post

Mod guidelines on categorising threads

Does the topic of the thread have a section on the forum?
A: If Yes, move thread to that forum.
Exception: If the thread doesn't really add anything of value to the section for other members. For example, if someone has posted a thread about their broadband connection just having gone down, then it wouldn't really add anything of value to the Technology section. So, as it is more general chit chat than anything else it can go in the General Chat section or the Rants section. If the thread however, was about continued broadband disruption over a period of time, and the thread starter is trying to troubleshoot the problem or alert others to bad service from an ISP then it of course adds value to the section and should go into Technology.

What if a thread is posted into the In The News section but it is about something that also has dedicated section?
A: See the previous rule - but basically, if the topic of a thread has a section, the thread should go into that unless it meets the exception rule.

What if someone has posted something in the discussions section but it contains a link or excerpt from a news story?
A: Move it to the In The News section if a section doesn't already exist that covers the topic of the thread.

Mod guidelines on thread titles

Thread titles should give members some indication of what to expect in the thread by acting as a short summary.

In the In The News section, if such titles are not used, simply copying the title from the headline of the link that is posted and using that as the title will suffice.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

04-02-2016, 07:38 PM

Re: Section additions and removals

I added a couple of updates to the first and second posts..

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top