Join for free
Page 3 of 45 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 02:38 PM

Re: The Vindictive Nastiness if the EU

Originally Posted by Harbal ->
No! If I were saying everything is going great now that we are out of the EU, then I would be making things up. Rarely a day goes by without reports of some problem or other because of Brexit. The one and only benefit from leaving the EU is the vaccine issue. We seem to have handled it quite well, whereas the EU seem to have made a complete mess of it.
But I haven't been saying that. Read my posts on Ireland and fishing.

Stop lying.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
No, just act within the agreement we have negotiated and foolishly ratified with the the EU and hold them legally to account when they are in breach. Having a hissy fit because you don’t like the terms you have agreed and entering into a a trade war with a demonstrably stronger party is a bad idea as we will lose and unilateral breaches of international law will have the rest of the world distrusting us
We should do no such thing. We should tear it up and walk away.

Breaching international law is what the EU did with Northern Ireland regarding Article 16. They are also breaking international laws over fishing and have done for over 40 years. No deal should ever be made with an undemocratic bureaucracy like the EU, they can never be trusted as history has shown us time and time again.

The EU is not the stronger party either - the TCA only facilitates their control over fishing and Northern Ireland. Tearing it up would hand back 100% control to the UK.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
We should do no such thing. We should tear it up and walk away.
Yeah, you do that, Bread.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-03-2021, 02:59 PM

Yeah, you do that, Bread.
If it was up to me, believe me, I would have already done it.
Harbal
South Yorkshire
Harbal is male  Harbal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
If it was up to me, believe me, I would have already done it.
Who needs experienced polititions and civil servants when some guy on an internet forum can easilly achieve what they are finding impossible to do.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-03-2021, 03:32 PM

Who needs experienced polititions and civil servants when some guy on an internet forum can easilly achieve what they are finding impossible to do.
It's not impossible though is it.

I can have my opinion... you can have yours.
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
But all the leading advocates of Brexit claimed we held all the cards and Boris was adamant we could have our cake and eat it.

The reality is that we were alway negotiating from a position of weakness and Brexit was an ill thought out project that would only make us poorer and less relevant on the world stage. Frost was an inexperienced chancer who got rolled over by a far more experienced EU team and Boris losing his nerve at the 11th hour didn’t help either.

Throwing our toys out of the pram now will only make matters worse as we are heavily reliant on trade with the EU with accounts for somewhere around 40% of our exports (43% in 2019) whereas EU exports to the UK only amount to less than 7% of their total (including internal trading)

We would not win a trade dispute
No. We wouldn't have been negotiationg from a position of weakness had May not been so stupid. One of her biggest mistakes was agreeing to the sequencing demands of the EU. Once she caved in there then Brussels knew she would be a walkover in future discussions. And so it proved. She was responsible for the sequencing, which led to the backstop, which led to her being ousted from office. All her own fault. Her Brexit performance was shocking.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 03:59 PM

https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...n-talks-update

“A lot of people said once we left the EU it would be difficult to get the same terms as the EU had in the deals with the countries around the world like Canada but we have succeeded in getting the same terms because we can be more nimble and flexible than the EU.”
What you lose on the swings, you gain on the roundabouts.
Banchory
Kent
Banchory is male  Banchory has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
No. We wouldn't have been negotiationg from a position of weakness had May not been so stupid. One of her biggest mistakes was agreeing to the sequencing demands of the EU. Once she caved in there then Brussels knew she would be a walkover in future discussions. And so it proved. She was responsible for the sequencing, which led to the backstop, which led to her being ousted from office. All her own fault. Her Brexit performance was shocking.
Johnson and Frost were even worse. Mays big mistake was triggering Article 50 before understanding all the implications and nuances of leaving.

However, no matter who did what and how things were done we were always destined to be negotiating from a position of weakness given the significant difference in size of economies and the UK’s lack of negotiating capability which has been plainly evident throughout
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2021, 04:22 PM

Hi
Whatever problems we have now, we would be worse on WTO as that would mean tariffs.

Page 3 of 45 < 1 2 3 4 5 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top