Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 11:11 AM

Re: An interesting take on Climate Change

Originally Posted by mart ->
Regardless of what is believed about climate change, air quality is another reason it could still be worth the drive to cut emissions of all kinds. If it's done for that reason alone, it would be interesting to see if it also slowed down climate change.
I totally agree one hundred percent about local air quality mart, but in my opinion (and the opinion of lot's of others) it will do nothing to address climate change there are too many outside forces at work to make even the slightest difference. And how would you know if it has made any difference to the climate? It takes hundreds of years to monitor even the smallest changes. And it's because of this the average person can be taken in by the media.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 12:43 PM

mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2021, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I totally agree one hundred percent about local air quality mart, but in my opinion (and the opinion of lot's of others) it will do nothing to address climate change there are too many outside forces at work to make even the slightest difference. And how would you know if it has made any difference to the climate? It takes hundreds of years to monitor even the smallest changes. And it's because of this the average person can be taken in by the media.
Indeed yes, we'll never know. In the meantime though, cleaner air would be good so still worth the effort of reducing emissions where possible.

Edit: This must be a coincidence ..mustn't it? With the fewer cars and aircraft there has been during these lockdowns, there has been a return of garden birds I haven't seen in ages, Finches of various types, a thrush or two and even some sparrows. I wonder if they will disappear again when emissions are back to previous levels?
bret
australia - travelling from west to east?
bret is male 

15-05-2021, 08:40 AM

remember the amazing photos from India when their car pollution disappeared - let have a cleaner life fgs - we spend enough time in the house doing the same - don't you ogf?
bret
bret is male 

15-05-2021, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
You're welcome Cinders....
ogf can you do a precise of the articles cos there are ads I cannot get rid of and they are impacting the pages?
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 10:52 AM

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...eenpeace-finds

Greenpeace investigators in Turkey found plastic waste from leading supermarkets dumped, burned, piled into mountains and left to spill into rivers and the sea.

Greenpeace examined 10 locations around the southern Turkish city of Adana in March and published the data on Monday in its report, Trashed. It found plastic packaging from Tesco, Asda, Co-op, Aldi, Sainsbury’s, Lidl and Marks & Spencer dumped, left in bags or burned. Plastic rubbish from retailers such as B&Q, Debenhams, Poundland and Spar was also found.

The British waste had been exported recently. It included a coronavirus antigen test and a packet with a use-by date of August 2021.

The fundamental problem inability to manage our plastic use and production.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

17-05-2021, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
https://www.theguardian.com/environm...eenpeace-finds

The fundamental problem inability to manage our plastic use and production.
It's a pity that we don't do our own plastic recycling Cinders, instead of sending stuff halfway around the world (using fuel and creating CO2) for it just to be dumped the same as we would probably have done.
Out of sight = Out of mind....
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2021, 04:28 PM

We spend a fair amount of time cleaning and sorting it out, in the belief we doing our bit ,enough to drive you crazy.
bret
bret is male 

19-05-2021, 10:29 AM

I was under the impression that China and SE Asia were now refusing to take our plastics?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-05-2021, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by bret ->
I was under the impression that China and SE Asia were now refusing to take our plastics?
Perhaps they have refused to take our plastics bret, that's why it now goes to Turkey.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top