Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 06:20 AM

Windows 11 ?

What do you think ...

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/3/22...b-global-en-GB
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 07:21 AM

Re: Windows 11 ?

I predict that for most people that use it, the only difference will be that it will be even more unnecessarily complicated and loaded with useless "apps" than all the previous versions. Sorry if I sound cynical but this is just the same as most other consumer stuff. It's not really needed by any ordinary person who uses a home computer or even a work one in many cases. It's just to make more and more money. And after a certain point, Microsoft doesn't even give you a choice. For example, what about an elderly person who just got used to windows 7 or XP when they were 20 years younger. They were happy with that and it was all they ever would need. Now they are not 50. They are 70 and they are confronted with no choice but to virtually learn a new product. Tech support??There isn't any. Even search isn't the same.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 09:23 AM

Most probably not for me. I was very happy with XP and find those versions that followed to be unnecessarily top heavy and loaded with superfluous additions that the average home user just finds cumbersome. My age? I'm 78.
Teacup
UK
Teacup is female 

13-06-2021, 09:52 AM

Maybe time to go back to Ubuntu again. Ive often done it when the new windows updates get too cumbersome.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 10:52 AM

I expect I'll be an early upgrader. I usually am.

True that MS include Apps they want users to look at but most of the unwanted ones can be uninstalled via the interface. Those that can't can have their shortcuts removed and the programs ignored.

I think MS try to make the OS all things to all people and at the same time, make it as easy as possible to just turn on the computer and use. They are still technical items though. Some learning or user actions will always be necessary to get them to as near as possible how they are wanted.

Good support for operating systems of any kind is on the Internet by way of forums dedicated to the particular OS. Microsoft have one where their technical staff contribute. Others places are available.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:44 AM

Oh Gawd! Am I going to have to change the format of all my photos again......
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:48 AM

I am certain that Microsoft said they were not going to issue any new versions of Windows after they had debugged W10.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am certain that Microsoft said they were not going to issue any new versions of Windows after they had debugged W10.
..and you believed them?
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
They always will though Tabby! I feel that all the new windows are designed to encourage us to buy more.... so they are a bit like having double glazing salespeople knocking on your door every half hour!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2021, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Oh Gawd! Am I going to have to change the format of all my photos again......
I think that can happen if you have an old or redundant program that saves photos in its own native file format ..and then that program won't install or work on a newer OS. However, photos saved as .jpg (jpeg), gif, tiff should always open.

It's OK save images in a program's native file format if the newer OS will run the program that was used to create them. Also work with the program's version number.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top