Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 09:26 AM

Fuel prices increasing + insurance costs

Has anyone noticed how fuel prices are on the increase again? Yesterday I noticed that diesel here is now £134.9 per litre, that's slowly increased from a low of around £1.09 at the start of the coronavirus pandemic. The differential between four-star petrol and diesel has gone from diesel being 2p a litre cheaper a long time ago to now being 6p a litre more expensive.

Everything we buy and use has a cost associated in some way with fuel prices. We all pay in some way for this through prices we pay for goods and services, whatever they may be.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/05/31/drive...cade-14679604/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56827268

On another car-related subject – insurance. Last week I paid the insurance on my 'one day classic car', a 1984 Scimitar GTE. The cost is reasonable all things considered as it's insured with an Owner's Club discount at an Agreed Valuation but with very limited mileage of 1,500 miles a year. What I noticed though was that paperwork – insurance certificate, policy details and Terms and Conditions etc. would only be sent online. If required to be sent through the post an additional £5 would be charged.

Just another way we are being forced to do everything online and pay ourselves for printing out documents. I have now made a decision to have everything previously sent by post sent online and stored electronically. That includes all utility bills, bank statements, investment statements, telephone and broadband bills. The only one I don't seem to be able to change, as yet, is the annual Council Tax bill.

We all have to pay personally for the technology required to do this, which is often not exactly inexpensive. Also it's the companies we deal with who benefit by increased profits from the savings made, yet their charges seldom, if ever, reduce.

What are your thoughts on the way we are being forced in this way, to use online services only?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:25 AM

Re: Fuel prices increasing + insurance costs

I dare say that with the fuel prices it will be the tax that has increased and not the cost of the fuel itself Baz. The government can kill two birds with one stone i.e. Appease the green brigade by making fuel more expensive and thereby helping to reduce the amount of vehicles on the road, and helping to regain the money used for furlough.
These things seem to happen when we take our eye off the ball and are more concerned with how England are doing in the Euros (pun intended) and the ever increasing covid infection figures.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:33 AM

Fuel prices are creeping up here too, Baz.
I wonder how how it will go over the next few weeks?

I am glad I don't do a lot of mileage now.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 10:52 AM

It's a bugger isn't it?

I paid 129.9c (65p) per litre for diesel last week before the lockdown. On my recent trip I paid as much as $1.52 (76p)per litre in remote areas.

As for insurance I paid $500 (£250) for my Compulsory Third Party Insurance which is needed for car rego
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I dare say that with the fuel prices it will be the tax that has increased and not the cost of the fuel itself Baz.

– Snip –
This next comment will bring tears to your eyes OGF! Diesel is the same fuel as domestic heating oil, today's price for that per litre is 49p and includes 5% tax. How does that compare to what I have just paid for diesel at £134.9 per litre!

Everything over the 49p is TAX, we are taxed out of existence in this country, don't forget what is received by way of salary has already been taxed once!

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Fuel prices are creeping up here too, Baz.
I wonder how how it will go over the next few weeks?

I am glad I don't do a lot of mileage now.
I am in the next county to you Mups so prices will be about the same. From what I read the only way fuel prices will go in the future is upwards. My mileage, now I am not working is low, thank goodness. Prior to that it used to be about 1,200 miles a month so quite a cost just to get to work and lead my life.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
It's a bugger isn't it?

I paid 129.9c (65p) per litre for diesel last week before the lockdown. On my recent trip I paid as much as $1.52 (76p)per litre in remote areas.

As for insurance I paid $500 (£250) for my Compulsory Third Party Insurance which is needed for car rego
That's half the price I've just paid for diesel! I always knew it was a big mistake not to have given it a try in Australia for three years under the £10 pom scheme 50 years' ago! I've regretted not doing that ever since! Half price motoring, lots of sunshine and a lifestyle where people work to live rather than as it now is here, live to work or go under!
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

30-06-2021, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Has anyone noticed how fuel prices are on the increase again? Yesterday I noticed that diesel here is now £134.9 per litre, that's slowly increased from a low of around £1.09 at the start of the coronavirus pandemi
Bloody hell Baz that’s a really stiff increase.
Baz46

30-06-2021, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->
Bloody hell Baz that’s a really stiff increase.
It certainly is when it's considered that to fill a 55 litre tank, about the average size, now costs around £74 compared to £60 prior to the start of the pandemic. That's around a 25% increase.

Out of curiosity Ullabi, what is the current cost of fuel in Sweden?
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

30-06-2021, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
It certainly is when it's considered that to fill a 55 litre tank, about the average size, now costs around £74 compared to £60 prior to the start of the pandemic. That's around a 25% increase.

Out of curiosity Ullabi, what is the current cost of fuel in Sweden?
Baz you wrote £134.9 per litre instead of £1.349 that would be over seven thousand pounds for a 55 litre tankful

95 octane petrol is about £1.30 a litre here

Oh and by the way our VAT is a hefty 25%
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-06-2021, 03:41 PM

In the UK we pay a fuel tax which is set by the Government (usually not increased by the Chancellor in his annual budget) + VAT on top so, we are doubly taxed on every litre of fuel we buy.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

30-06-2021, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
In the UK we pay a fuel tax which is set by the Government (usually not increased by the Chancellor in his annual budget) + VAT on top so, we are doubly taxed on every litre of fuel we buy.
Same here

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top