Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

03-07-2021, 02:12 AM

Re: Pay at Pump charge

This is my last post in this thread.

If you read my earlier post carefully you will see that I wrote that the top marginal tax rate is 79% as opposed to 59% in the UK. This doesn’t mean that everyone pays 79% or 59% income tax in either country. Average income tax deduction from salary is around 33%

Average salary is around £3 500 per calendar month.

We don’t export oil. You’re confusing Sweden with Norway
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Ullabi ->

If you read my earlier post carefully you will see that I wrote that the top marginal tax rate is 79% as opposed to 59% in the UK. This doesn’t mean that everyone pays 79% or 59% income tax in either country. Average income tax deduction from salary is around 33%

When I was working, before retirement, the average deduction from my salary was around 30%.

The average monthly salary is far higher in Sweden than in the UK, here I believe it is around £2,000 per month. Even so with possibly a higher cost of living in Sweden generally things may not be very different from us in the UK.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

03-07-2021, 09:57 AM

Having been to the Uk on numerous occasions Baz I’ve often found that prices in supermarkets are on a par to prices in Sweden.

Some approximate supermarket price examples:

Mature cheese £7 per kilo
Pork chops £6 per kilo
Full fat milk 90 pence per litre
Potatoes 90 pence per kilo
Tomatoes £2 per kilo
Unsalted butter £5 per kilo

Of course prices vary and most of these products can be bought cheaper on special offer or non brand names. For example most supermarket chains have their own brand dairy products that are cheaper than for example Arla but paradoxically produced at Arla dairies.

Haven’t been to the UK for a couple of years now so it may have changed. If our prices are higher it may be offset by our higher salaries.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-07-2021, 10:30 AM

Having been to the Uk on numerous occasions Baz I’ve often found that prices in supermarkets are on a par to prices in Sweden.

Some approximate supermarket price examples:

Mature cheese £7 per kilo
Pork chops £6 per kilo
Full fat milk 90 pence per litre
Potatoes 90 pence per kilo
Tomatoes £2 per kilo
Unsalted butter £5 per kilo

Of course prices vary and most of these products can be bought cheaper on special offer or non brand names. For example most supermarket chains have their own brand dairy products that are cheaper than for example Arla but paradoxically produced at Arla dairies.

Haven’t been to the UK for a couple of years now so it may have changed. If our prices are higher it may be offset by our higher salaries.
From what you write it does seem as though prices are similar to the UK, although I believe ours are slightly higher. With your higher salaries and higher tax rates, living in Sweden is probably very similar to the UK in that respect. The standard of living in Sweden I have always understood is higher than in the UK. However, never having been to Sweden (or any other country) this is not my own first-hand experience.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

03-07-2021, 10:52 AM

Yes Baz, I think it’s generally accepted that Sweden has a higher standard of living.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2021, 05:07 PM

What l said was "" an export LIKE oil, or some other mineral" Ulabi!
I believe you have considerable deposits of tungsten ?
Thanks for your info anyway !!

Donkeyman! 👍👍
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2021, 02:37 AM

I think our tax rates are similar to the UK, our top marginal income tax rate is 45% for income over $180000, our GST (VAT) is 10% (but food, education, family homes are exempt). Currently the average wage is $63000p/a (32000 pounds)

We don't have death duties but we do have capital gains tax which is the marginal rate discounted by 50% for gains held in excess of 12 months however the family home is exempt from capital gains tax.

I did read somewhere that Sweden is the highest taxed country in the world but personally I would rather pay more tax for better social services not that I have paid any tax except GST for over a decade.

Don't let yourself be scared off by the dills.
Ullabi
Ullabi is female 

08-07-2021, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I believe you have considerable deposits of tungsten?
There are deposits of tungsten in Sweden but it isn’t mined.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top